Adding fog lights-what brand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding fog lights-what brand?

I will try to post some pics and instructions this weekend for those who are asking.

The Razzi kit is in my garage, I have to wait for my help to be available to install it. Leaving on vacation May 30th for 2 glorious weeks in Bonaire scuba diving! I will blow some bubbles for all you guys while I'm there. So, sometime in June I will get it installed.

I will get them aimed this weekend also. It's nice to see lights in to "block spots" in the front of the car. The biggest thing is to take your time on the installation.

Thanks again for the help and kind words everyone!

I will finally get some days off this weekend.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM

None of the wiring was there for my installation. I added a seperate switch below the small vent near your right knee. I used that area because the switch supplied goes deep into the dash, and there were steel dash supports in the way in other places. I did not attempt to replace the stalk because you have to disassemble the steering column, and I'm not going there. I did have to extend the wiring because the runs were not long enough in some cases. The kit I bought was nice and fit into the stock mounting points supplied under the car. Only one screw holds them in place, so I added two wire ties to each light "just in case" the screw came loose from vibration. Once you install the new light covers you cannot see the wire ties.

Buy a nice OEM kit if you are going to add fogs. My kit had no instructions, however, if you have some experience, it is self explanitory as to what wires go where. I ordered my kit from Trendgear on Ebay. One of the light bezels arrived damaged, they replaced it. The second one arrived damaged. They have another in route, hopefully it will be intact. The kit was about $63 and $20 shipping. It has H11 super white bulbs, and you can order it in yellow also.

I will post a more complete instruction this weekend and ask, (I mean beg), the wife to help me post pics. LOL!

Actually once I figured out where to bring the two power supplies from it wasn't that bad. I wouldn't wire in the lights without using a relay.

If your interested in adding fog lights, or any modification, go for it. People here will definately help you, just ask your questions. You will have a sense of satisfation when done, and save alot of money.

Thanks everyone and have a great holiday weekend this weekend.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Does this look like the lights you guys got? If so I think I found the EBay sellers supplier. They're in China.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...1004844252.htm

Old 05-21-2008, 04:09 PM

Yes. I had found that website also. Looks like you have to buy in bulk.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Forgot to mention I received my second replacement bezel this evening. It was undamaged.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Dan,

I added fog lights a while ago and I used the Toyota OEM lights and Camry XLE/SE rubber covers. I've gotten a lot of original equipment Toyota stuff from this site: http://www.magauto.com/default.asp?i...catalogid=3408

They have a searchable catalog and many exploded diagrams so you can pick what you want. I even used them to replace my smashed driver’s side mirror - you can order replacement parts by your car color!!!

I saw that the Toyota Fog Light assembly comes with H11 bulbs. A quick search on the web revealed that the Volkswagen MK5 uses H11 Fog lights. You can buy the MK5 harness at: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...egory=Lighting and the part you are looking for is the: ECS Fog Light Wiring Harness-H11 Bulbs (ES#7714). The harness comes with the wires, the sockets that fit the H11 bulbs and a nice relay.

No problem with deliveries and I've bought a lot of stuff from MagAuto.com.

The lights in your link look like the OEM lights and I am guessing they fit exactly the same. I think I payed about $250 for the pair of lights and $65 for the harness and relay.

I like the fog like light look and I think the installation is worth the trouble.
Randyman

Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Randy,

Thanks for the info. This a great place to come. I just wish I could be as helpful as most of you guys are. I hate to always "take" and not give back.

I'm not sure if we are supposed to link to other forums so I won't post anything here yet but yesterday I was on another Toyota site and found a guy who posted simple instructions with pictures of the fog light install. He ended up running on of the wires directly to one of the fuses for the low beams. He only connected it on one side of the fuse so that way the fuse still functioned properly. Now whenever he has low beams or high beams on the fogs are on. If someone can let me know it ok to link to it I will throw the link up. He did it on a regular Camry but I'm pretty sure it will work on the TCH too.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:52 PM

Coolshock1, I considered wiring to my low beams, however, I opted to be able to run my fogs independently of my other lights.

Technically it is illegal here to run fogs only or with high beams. I have never seen anyone pulled over for it, even when I was a LEO.

I would assume the wire he ran to the low beams went to his relay to close the switch to allow the battery lead to power the lights. I would not power the lights themselves from the low beam wiring. The bulb wiring can be run from the battery lug in the fuse box under the hood to the relay, then from the relay to the lights. It is very easy to access the positive lug and run the wire down through the bottom of the fuse box (there is already a passage there) to the front of the car. I put a solid round connector on my main light power wire and bent the connector 90 degrees running the wire up from the lug, then right back down through the passage through the bottom of the fuse box. This allows you to replace the fuse box cover without any modifications. There is plenty of room behind the driver side headlight area to mount your relay and run your wiring. That allowed me to position my 15A fuse right next to my fuse box under the hood, very easy to access. I used alot of tape and wire loom to wrap all my wiring. I tied my grounds together under the front of the car and chose to use the factory ground screw under the hood on the driver shock tower. (Look behind the corner of the air box, you will see it, a 10MM screw).

Don't worry about "taking", the day will come when you can help us for sure. Everyone looks at things differently and the observations and experience of everyone makes things easier for us all.

Great people here willing to share experience, they sure have helped me. I am not sure I have helped anyone yet, hopefully something I've said has helped someone, or will some day

Thanks for the vacation wishes, it can't come soon enough.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Driving in stealth mode

He didn't go to the lowbeam wire. He went straight to the fuse. If you would like I can send you the link to his installation...pictures and all.