Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Adding a subwoofer (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/adding-subwoofer-16639/)

Wavern 01-09-2008 03:16 PM

Adding a subwoofer

Has anyone added a sub to the 2007 or 2008 TCH? I'm considering my options right now. I've had bad luck with trunk based subs as they tend to be dampened by the rear seats and I really don't want to share my music with my neighbors. I just want some inside the car bass punch / thump.

I've seen various self-contained units that are 3" tall and are meant to be installed under the front seats but I'm not sure how well that'll work. Unfortunately I'm hearing the the NAV stereo doesn't have any clean audio out options for hooking up the sub so it'll have to feed off a speaker.

Anyhow, was wondering what, if anything, others have done and how it worked out. I'm half considering building a small box and putting it between the two rear seats on the floor.

abward 01-10-2008 05:09 AM

Re: Adding a subwoofer

I was under the impression that the car came with a subwoofer already. Is this not so?

KTLane 01-10-2008 05:49 AM

I think the "psychoacoustics" or whatever the brand name is simulates a sub, but there isn't actually one.

I had a 12" sub in my 4runner and I find the level of bass to be similar, but the sub provided a cleaner sound.

CJO2007CamryHyb 01-10-2008 08:40 AM

I am not sure i would install a sub on the Camry. I mean the bass would really boom. IT already booms at a low level, for me. If you don't want the entire neighborhood to know when your coming.......leave the subwoofer out. Just my take on it.......;)

Wavern 01-10-2008 08:46 AM

Yeah, the bass already coming from the system is better than most stock speakers I've heard but there's still something missing. ;)

SPL 01-10-2008 08:56 AM

The JBL system uses all four woofers together at low frequencies, thus behaving like a quasi-subwoofer (there's no separate subwoofer). Driving all of them in parallel at low frequencies increases their low-frequency power handling capability substantially, but they still will not produce clean, ear-damaging levels at low frequencies. If you're after natural, balanced sound reproduction, the system is pretty good as it stands. I wouldn't try to add a subwoofer to mine!

Stan

dledeaux 01-11-2008 05:38 AM

One of the reasons I am not considering upgrading any components is I don't want to mess with the electrical system. I mean I guess its powered off the 12 volt batter which is cheap enough to replace if necessary. This brings up some other questions ...

The other reason I dont' want to just install a sub without knowing more about the system is that I don't want to interfere with the "psychoacoustics". I think adding a sub would create too much bass that I had no control over without aftermarket equipment which brings me back to the first point.

Overall I'm impressed with the system, but the bass is muddy to me. I normally turn the bass down a notch, bring the mids down a couple of notches and bring my highs up by one or two. This has the effect of really cleaning up the sound as well as enhancing forward staging.

Zekeman 02-02-2008 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wavern (Post 157209)
Has anyone added a sub to the 2007 or 2008 TCH? I'm considering my options right now. I've had bad luck with trunk based subs as they tend to be dampened by the rear seats and I really don't want to share my music with my neighbors. I just want some inside the car bass punch / thump.

I am with you. This system has absolutely no quality low end. I have looked into the under seat jobs and they get good reviews! When Spring rolls around I will tackle it. I am still, though, searching for the correct wiring and method of tapping into the circuitry for installing one of these.

Please advise if you progress!

Thanks.

reignofjerm 02-27-2008 11:06 AM

This is my setup, but I don't like it. I want a custom box and smaller profile subs. Looking for options myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97168812@N00/

mikieboyblue 02-27-2008 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by reignofjerm (Post 163104)
This is my setup, but I don't like it. I want a custom box and smaller profile subs. Looking for options myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97168812@N00/

What amp are you using? Or did you just tie into the stock amp?