Adding a subwoofer

Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding a subwoofer

Ok, I know alot about the camry hybrid. I use to sell the cars for Toyota. Now my question is "How do you install an amp and sub?" I just need the directions, I have never installed an aftermarket system so it will be my first time.
Does anyone have directions that they will be willing to share with me?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

****, sorry about the size, here are smaller ones.
O6vpBl.jpg
77Vkbl.jpg

Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

Here are the dimensions flipped

mQ7Dbl.jpg

Old 10-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast

Oregon,

Thanks for sharing. I can't read the dimensions on your picture. Can you please spell them out? Thanks.

Also, how did you connect your amp to the system? Did you use a high pass system, meaning using the speaker inputs from the back speakers?

Hal

Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

I will get the dimensions tomorrow. To hook up the amp I used a LOC thingy off of the rear speaker wires coming from the amp under the passenger seat. To me, going off those wires was easier than the wires at the rear speakers in the trunk.
Bryan

Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

If I were to do it again, I would take 1/2" from the depth, as now it hangs over the edge just a little bit. The height is 5 1/4".:conf used: Sorry, fun with smilies.FxzRz.jpg

Last edited by OregonGrown; 10-20-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Adding a subwoofer

That is awesome .. I have been thinking about adding a sub as well, not to 'overkill' the whole system, but just to fill in the 'missing gaps' on the low-end of the music/system.

I have a few questions about your set-up though:

- Where did you put your amp? Is it in the small space in-between the back of the rear seat and the hybrid battery cover?

- Are you noticing or having any sort of type of distortion? (Since the battery is right there). ..And...Is/Will the sub's magnet interfere with the hybrid battery or system at all? (I ask this since the last thing I want to hear is something like 'Oh your battery seems to have been damaged in some way...we won't cover it under the warranty anymore).

Other than that... Awesome! I will have to look into this a bit more - It's good to see someone utilized that space!

Thanks for the infos - I'm also curious to know if you have any pros/cons with your system now after installation and some use.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by talljetman2
That is awesome .. I have been thinking about adding a sub as well, not to 'overkill' the whole system, but just to fill in the 'missing gaps' on the low-end of the music/system.

I have a few questions about your set-up though:

- Where did you put your amp? Is it in the small space in-between the back of the rear seat and the hybrid battery cover?

- Are you noticing or having any sort of type of distortion? (Since the battery is right there). ..And...Is/Will the sub's magnet interfere with the hybrid battery or system at all? (I ask this since the last thing I want to hear is something like 'Oh your battery seems to have been damaged in some way...we won't cover it under the warranty anymore).

Other than that... Awesome! I will have to look into this a bit more - It's good to see someone utilized that space!

Thanks for the infos - I'm also curious to know if you have any pros/cons with your system now after installation and some use.

Thanks!
Thank you! Here are the answers to your question:

The amp is under the drivers side seat.

It sounds good, no distortion or electrical noise that I have noticed.
I haven't thought about the magnet affecting the Hybrid system, nor have I noticed anything that would make me believe that something isn't working correctly.

I like the system alot now. The bass isn't overkill, but you can definately hear and feel low tones that the stock system lacked. Also, since I have the sub, I turned the bass level to neutral (the middle) so the stock woofers aren't having to handle as much bass, therefor I can turn the system up louder and not have any distortion or fear of blowing a speaker. I can turn it up to the mid forties and it still sounds great! Again, thanks for your compliments. Also, if you PM your e-mail I can send you the plans in a Google SketchUp file so you can see them more clearly.

Bryan

Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

I am responding to this ancient thread and likely most people having any interest have sold their TCH...not me.

I finally decided to build a custom cabinet and tap into the stock JBL system and install an amp and active crossover.

I decided that an under-seat cabinet would be a challenging cabinet build because of interference so I decided to build a cabinet which sits behind the console and houses an 8” single sub. I also decided on a sealed cabinet which I prefer. The idea is that, when finished, it exists as a sort of rear extension to the console. I rarely have any people in the rear seat let alone three. I am now searching for carpet (color) with which to cover the cabinet.

The sound is very nice. In fact I have to dial down the crossover output quite a bit to balance the subs output. I used a Dayton 8” subwoofer which is being driven by an Alpine power amp in bridged configuration. I have an active crossover in the glove.

i will post a pic when I finish the cosmetics.

Last edited by Zekeman; 05-15-2019 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Correction