After 22 months, battery is toast

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default After 22 months, battery is toast

After 22 months of flawless service (outside of sorting out the pesky console crickets), I have suffered my 1st malfunction. No, relax, it's not the traction battery. My key fob battery has died. As the wife needs her fob too, I've had to endure a couple of miserable days of actually having to take the keys out of my pocket to open and start the car. Barbaric!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: After 22 months, battery is toast

FYI...the key fob's battery will wear out quicker if it is placed near a charging cell phone or a lamp (believe it or not). I always move my keys to another table when I charge my phone.
I guess it makes sense to carry a package of replacement batteries in the center console, just in case.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
After 22 months...
Just curious, when'd you buy yours? My 22 month anniversary's day after tomorrow. Figure that puts us pretty close to the front of the pack....

Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by haroldo
FYI...the key fob's battery will wear out quicker if it is placed near a charging cell phone or a lamp (believe it or not). I always move my keys to another table when I charge my phone.
I guess it makes sense to carry a package of replacement batteries in the center console, just in case.
Thanks for the info. I keep my keys and my phone on top of my dresser next to each other. This is where I charge my cell phone and my Blackberry.

On a side funny.....I always give my wife a hard time when we go somewhere in our minivan. I tell her how I hate having to drive such an antiquated vehicle as I pull the keys out of my pocket or stick them in the ignition to turn them on or go to unlock the vehicle.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 AM

According to the manual
Keep key more than 3 feet from a:
  • TV
  • Personal Computer
  • Cellular phone or cordless phone recharger unit
  • Electric light stand
  • Fluorescent desk light
  • Pool of water or ocean (I added this, I figured dropping the key into a pool or ocean can't be too good for the key)

Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 PM

I noticed at night my fob won't illuminate the dome interior lights unless i'm within 2 feet of the door handle. My wife's fob works within 3 to 4 feet. Both fobs are kept out away from any interference.

Our TCH will be 1 year old in July. I plan on replacing both batteries then to keep them in top shape.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

22 months is pretty darn good for the FOB battery. I would expect that it would last at least a year but that's almost 2 years.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
According to the manual
Keep key more than 3 feet from a:
  • TV
  • Personal Computer
  • Cellular phone or cordless phone recharger unit
  • Electric light stand
  • Fluorescent desk light
  • Pool of water or ocean (I added this, I figured dropping the key into a pool or ocean can't be too good for the key)
I wonder why that is... any one have answers for that? I had a Nissan Murano, before I flicked the green switch to the 2009 Camry Hybrid. The key fob for the Murano died a little more than 2 years of having it. I was surprised it dies so quickly. Any hoo... I'm averaging 39+ on my first tank!!! ... That's according to the trip computer on the dash. Good enough for me. Beats 22-23 on the Murano.

Last edited by mozman; 04-15-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by mozman
I'm averaging 39+ on my first tank!!! ... That's according to the trip computer on the dash. Good enough for me. Beats 22-23 on the Murano.
If your car is new, you shouldl see a miles per gallon increase after your first 5000 mile oil change. You can get a extra.......
(1 mpg) gain by changing to the 0W-20 full synthetic oil.

You can buy it from your Toyota dealer in quart containers. I just bought 0W-20 mobil one (green top, also in quarts) for my second oil change at Walmart.

Your best oil filter would be the oem filter from the toyota dealer. Purolator (Denso)? is the manufacture for Toyota America. The Pure One filter oil filter at Pepboys or Advanced auto parts may be better but may cost more. These are full flow oil filters that tested up to 98% efficiency.

Last edited by rburt07; 04-15-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by mozman
I wonder why that is...
Just guessing (although it's probably in the manual somewhere), but, the fob goes into 'sleep' mode under certain conditions, to preserve it's battery. I imagine that there is a signal emitted from these devices that the fob picks up and prevents it from going to sleep.

Quick Reply: After 22 months, battery is toast

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands