After Market Remote Starters for a 2007 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default After Market Remote Starters for a 2007 TCH

I recently purchased a 2007 TCH in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The car did not come with the option of a factory installed remote starter, so the dealership contracted out the installation of one. The installer had problems and was here in my parking lot 2 or 3 times. It would work initially but then it wouldn’t start the car but just flash lights. The installer finally gave up and said he would refund the dealership but I still want a remote starter when we dip well below zero in winter.
Does anyone on the continent have a remote starter on their 2007 TCH that works consistently and was installed after market? I want to have some ammunition if I my dealership comes back to me saying it can’t be done. I understand that at a point it’s not worth it for the dealership to keep trying to solve this problem so I want to help them out.
I know it kind of goes against the principle of owning a Hybrid but when its -35 degrees and you have to get dressed twice to go out and warm up the car and scrape the windows, it’s a real benefit (the car has to be warmed up anyway).

Boarboar

Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: After Market Remote Starters for a 2007 TCH

If you live in Calgary, be sure to use an engine block heater. If it helps in Chicago, it certainly will help up there.

With the SKS and everything, I wouldn't trust anything but the actual Toyota brand remote start system.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Boarbear....

Yes, another user in Calgary put a remote starter in his car. It think he retrofitted the factory one actually. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Later!

Dang

Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

Dang,
Were you able to find out from that other TCH owner how he ended up with a remote car starter that worked?

Brian (boarboar)

Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just had the OEM/Toyota remote starter added to my TCH and it works. The range appears to be only as far as you can lock/unlock, honestly perhaps even worse. Definitely a far cry from the 2-way system I had on the wife's former car.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boarboar
Dang,
Were you able to find out from that other TCH owner how he ended up with a remote car starter that worked?

Brian (boarboar)
I talked to him yesterday. It was just the dealer installed remote starter he put in. (bought it off eBay I think).

One thing he mentioned is they had to update the software on his car.

I'm not sure why Toyota doesn't just update to the latest firmware when you get your service done. Most car companies do, but for some reason Toyota only does it if requested.

Later!

Dang