Aftermarket GPS problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket GPS problems

I have a new 2009 TCH and none of my three Garmin GPS units will work in the car. I found that if you hold them out the window the signal picks up. Garmin claims that a metallic substance in the car interferes with radio signals. My Toyota dealer contacted Toyota Canada who said it was to prevent interference with the radio ignition if you were parked near a high power radio transmitter like a radio station.

Toyota never released this information even to the dealer and I would have bought the OEM gps if I had known. Other than installing an ugly exterior antenna with more wires I seem to be out of luck.

Has anyone had this problem? Have a solution or model of GPS that works?

Thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS problems

My garmin Nuvi takes longer, exhausting MY patience, to lock on to the required # of satelites insude teh car but does eventually lock on.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by scottmcm
I have a new 2009 TCH and none of my three Garmin GPS units will work in the car. I found that if you hold them out the window the signal picks up. Garmin claims that a metallic substance in the car interferes with radio signals. My Toyota dealer contacted Toyota Canada who said it was to prevent interference with the radio ignition if you were parked near a high power radio transmitter like a radio station.

Toyota never released this information even to the dealer and I would have bought the OEM gps if I had known. Other than installing an ugly exterior antenna with more wires I seem to be out of luck.

Has anyone had this problem? Have a solution or model of GPS that works?

Thanks
Scott: I have the factory NAV in my 2007 TCH, and sometimes use my Garmin 200W as well. No specific problem locking onto and keeping Sats in the car. I have aftermarket tinted windows, but was sure to use NON Metallic tint. Perhaps this is your issue?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for both replys. The glass is OEM on the 09 and no after market tint or anything. Toyota admits to it having a metalic substance. My garmins lock on and then lose the signal every few minutes - something you don't need coming into a complicated highway intersection in a strange city.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

Forgot to mention that my daughter has an 07 hybrid and GPS is fine. The glass on the 09 has changed, maybe the 08 too.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I sometimes have trouble acquiring satellites in my '07 TCH (original windshield). The effect seems much worse at night. I've had occasions where it has taken 20+ minutes to lock on, but once it does, it's been pretty good about keeping the lock. (I have had the GPS since August and I've been affected about 20% of the time. In the other 80% of cases, I get a lock in under 2 minutes.) I have a Garmin Nuvi 750.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast

The 750 is well rated and has current state of the art receiver. Sounds like the 07 may have the same windshield. The only way to really improve it is to buy the Garmin external antenna. It is amplified and is a small box about one and a half inches square that you can put on the trunk or roof. It has a strong magnet that will go through car washes. It plugs into the back of the gps with a standard mcx connector and works really well. The problem of course is hiding wires on the dashboard etc but I am thinking a car radio installer could probably find a subtle way of doing it.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

I have an '07 TCH - I used my Garmin Nuvi 350 for over a year with no problems getting Sats. I recently upgraded to a Garmin Nuvi 755T and continue to have no problems getting the Satellites.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM

It hasn't been mentioned but if you are mounting the GPS anywhere but attached to the windshield or dash directly below the windshield you might get spotty results. My gf's TomTom One has problems in her RAV4 but it usually works quite well if we keep it on the windshield suction cup holder.

The biggest draw back of any GPS system is the fact that it requires line of sight. Without this you have nothing. But when you have it it works well!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Camry Freak

My Garmin Nuvi 750 works fine in my TCH. Always finds a signal within 3 minutes of startup. (Mounted to windshield)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands