Aftermarket Navigation Installation

Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast
Question Aftermarket Navigation Installation

I had an aftermarket Visteon nav radio installed in my '09 Camry Hybrid. It's a very nice and attractive head unit. Installer was able to get all the functions working on it except for the dimming of the illumination when the headlights are turned on. The installer says he cannot fix it because there was no separate wire coming from the car to tell the radio that the lights have been turned on. For those of you that have installed an aftermarket nav unit in your Camry Hybrid, were you able to get the radio illumination to dim when the headlights are turned on and if so how were you able to do it?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Navigation Installation

could you not just take a wire off of the marker lights which come on just prior to the headlights in manual mode, or automatically with the headlights in auto mode, yet remain off when the DRL lights are on

Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Navigation Installation

tharvey -

Thanks for the reply. I wish I could answer your question. I'm so unknowledgeable about electronics and following wiring diagrams it would be hazardous for me to guess. I'll pass this on to someone who is more comfortable in this area and let you know what he says.