Aftermarket Parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Parts

I'm already a slow driver and in the rain, I might go even slower depending on the weather and traffic conditions. I've never driven in snow or ice since it's California but I also imagine I'd go very slow. This slow driving helps me to react better to dangerous situations.

As for increasing PSI, I'd suggest increasing it slowly; a couple PSI here and there, driving it for a while and see how it works. Find a comfortable medium.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11652

I'm annoyed the actual article has been removed...

Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast

I haven't posted here in a long time and got curious about the TCH forum. When I first got my TCH, I was skeptical of the 45 MPG claims I saw. I read about all of the nuances of driving the TCH and over the last two years feel I have mastered the technique. I have kept an Excel spreadsheet with all of my mileage data including the price of gas.
There are two ways to track your MPG. One is the display and the other is the actual calculation from your receipt and your odometer. Even this latter method will not be accurate unless your TCH speedometer is accurate; I had mine re calibrated after I bought it because it was reading 3mph faster than actual speed - which impacts your odometer. Having said that, I track both the display and actual MPG.
During the winter months (Seattle/Tacoma area) I averaged 37.2 MPG. My last seven tanks averaged 42.6 MPG. My DISPLAY averages were 38.95 and 43.46 MPG respectively. I have had four tanks over 45 MPG, and all my tanks are 500+ miles. I often saw people in the "700 mile tank" club and thought is was BS, but soon realized I could easily get 700+ miles per tank but do not want to because an empty tank overheats the fuel pump, and consistently running it with little gas in the tank will burn your fuel pump out.
The winter and summer numbers are different for the obvious reasons; temp, Ethanol, heater usage, etc. Driving technique is the biggest factor for increased MPG. I KNOW the difference is not that much, but I have turned my daily grind of a 60 mile round trip into a game of sorts. I consider myself a "Big Toe" driver (look it up). It helps pass the time and I feel a special joy when I calculate each tank and get anything over 43 MPG; it's a game now; me against the car.

Sorry, I'm not going to go into all of the techniques about how to do it, because they are all over this board. Just wanted to share my long-winded perspective of the attitude that pushes me to squeeze every mile out of the car. Only advice, make it a game, a sport, a driving hobby.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dave, your loop sounds a lot like mine. I live in southern new mexico where it's rather flat and dry. My daily loop is 32 miles. After the first year I knew every up and down or level parts of the highway, including city streets. Like you said, it's like a game trying to beat you last tank figures by trying different speeds and acceleration techniques.

I retired out here from Dallas and did not know this was a good region for higher gas mileage. I started at 48 mpg when the '07 car was new. After a year of experimenting I finally made it to 50 mpg. This second year I found I could stay in the low 50's on every tank including winter. (with block heater) Our daytime winters here are usually dry and in the mid 30's to mid 40's.

My driving style is simple. I usually drive at 40 mph using the cruise everywhere I go out here. We don't have that much traffic and the 4-lane highway to town helps. I use a popular brand of gasoline and do easy takeoffs. I used to watch the scan gauge and mpg meter a lot that first year. With this routine method of driving I can relax and simply enjoy the car.

Warning, you can't drive slow like this in the bigger cities or freeways. Best to drive along just like the other cars. Driving the speed limit or close to it helps. I drive 60 when traveling around in this state.

I wish Toyota would update the 2011 TCH to where it would get the same mpg at 50 mph as at 40 like it does now. That would include the EV mode.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'm sure there are thousands who can and will debate this topic further, but http://www.metallurgist.com/html/tire_pressure.html points out
and http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=1

An accident (due to inability to stop in time, or worse, adverse driving conditions where greater tread contact is needed), damaged tire or shorter life on the tires can kill your mileage savings.
One other point, your increase in mileage will come from many factors, not only tire inflation. Your car is brand new, and most cars take a while to improve their efficiency. Weather also plays a big role (especially in the colder areas). You've also learned to drive differently. Simply put, I wouldn't play games with the tires, since it is the one of the most important parts of your car, from a safety perspective. Few would adjust their brakes to save a few pennies per mile. You 'experimented' at 7 psi over the maximum. I'm not an expert, but I don't think that is something that you want to do.
Better safe than sorry. There are no awards given for good mileage (other than the dashboard displaying "Excellent" when you turn the car off).

I don't know about anyone else... but I drive 120 miles every day. Currently I am getting 520-540 miles per tank of gas (driving until the needle hits empty which is 14.5 Gallons of Gas). I have gotten 550.. and my indicator sometimes shows 560 miles til empty. This morning, I had driven 200 miles in 2 days, and it shows 365 miles tile empty...

So, off the bat, I am getting my 37mpgs that I am supposed to get...

Those 37 mpg include:

A) 120 miles every day for my work commute which includes:

-100 miles on the highway, with 90 of those miles at 73mph and 10 of them at 60-65mph
-18 miles at 45-50mph on on backwoods road between my neighborhood and the highway
-2 miles in a neighborhood near my office.

B) 8 miles round trip on Wednesday evenings, Friday Evenings for Church

C) 12 miles on Sundays for church and dinner...

I bought my car as Salvage vehicle... The engine runs fine...and it has been a trial for the rest... but after pay $19K for a fully loaded Hybrid (only lacking nav) I was happy, and still am. It has 2600 miles on it when I first got it... and now has close to 17K... and that is since November of 2008.

I love it though... because I am getting a consistant 37-38 miles per gallon from the car... just using light pulse and glide techniques in the City, and Cruise control on the highway... I did 80mph once, with the cruise control on, and averaged 35 mpg.

When I do my gas estimates, I always take the amount of miles "ran til empty" and divide those by amount of gallons it takes to fill the tank (13.5-14.5)....

I am very happy with my car... even though I hit a dear back in March, and the Bodyshop guy completely RIPPED me off... I may be driving around in a two tone car... but I still look at it and love it...