Air Conditioner Shuts Off By Itself??!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Air Conditioner Shuts Off By Itself??!

OK, this occurred a number of times but I let it slide. It happened yesterday but worse.

I'll be driving along with the A/C in Eco mode only to feel it start getting hot. The A/C will shut off! I figured maybe the Eco mode will shut off the A/C whenever
the battery is overstressed....that's why I wasn't too concerned.

Well, yesterday when I was driving it got REAL HOT. The A/C switched over to HIGH HEAT. Yep, the fan was full blast and the temp was HI.

I figure this will be a REAL TOUGH one to prove to the dealer.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Air Conditioner Shuts Off By Itself??!

Does this happen only in "Auto" mode? If so, maybe a bad temperature sensor. If it happens when NOT in Auto, that sounds really, really bad. Best wishes in getting to the cause! Keep us posted!

Old 07-31-2006, 10:14 AM
WVGasGuy

I've never had mine kick off. I have had the ECO switch back to normal upon some start ups, perhaps because I fooled with some buttons. I don't think my A/C has been off since I bought it 7400 miles ago so I can't see a good reason for this to happen.

Not a good week to be w/o A/C in NJ, huh?

Old 07-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

After it did this yesterday could you press the A/C button and put it back in A/C mode? If it's the temp sensor like bmgoodman suggests try turning off AUTO mode and controlling manually. That would be a good test.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Auto mode shuts off as soon as you manually control the fan, right?

If that's the case, I rarely, if ever, use AUTO mode. I'm usually controlling the fan myself.

Also, yes, I am able to turn the A/C back on.

This has happened to me only maybe 3/4 times since I owned the car, and I usually use the A/C...so this will be hard to reproduce and test.

Yesterday was the only time that the heat actually turned on. The other times the A/C just shut off.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by hamm3r
Auto mode shuts off as soon as you manually control the fan, right?
I'm not sure if that's true. I'm thinking that it stays in AUTO mode, but I'm not sure. So you may still be in AUTO mode.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:23 AM

"Hamm3r, this is TCH. You've been driving with a heavy foot. As your punishment I'll be taking control of the A/C. Now ease up on the gas and everything will be fine."

(With the voice of HAL).

Old 07-31-2006, 11:32 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Hmmm, do you ever drive along listening to music and have trouble turning up the volume, but get side tracked by how hot it's getting?

I'm still trying to understand the "recirc" logic... I think I've pushed the recirc button more times on this car in 5 weeks than all the other cars I've had put together...

Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting, lol. Maybe I am hitting one of those useless buttons on the steering wheel by mistake??

Old 07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

lol. I never drive without the recirculate button on. There's a stretch of freeway down here in Columbus, 71S near Grove City, and there's a trash burning plant. Mmmmm. Recirculate works very well in that instance.

Then, on the way to Georgetown in DC, the canal can smell quite... ripe sometimes. So again, recirculate works very well.

I've never had the AC just turn off on me before though.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Shuts Off By Itself??!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands