Air Dams

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Air Dams

Could someone please explain the principle behind the plastic air dams on the underside of the TCH in front of the wheels. I believe contrary to what you would think they reduce drag. Does anyone know how significant they are and if there is a drag coefficient published for the TCH.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Air Dams

I have just checked Wikipedia and found the following information which partially answers my question:-

" Use of wheel spats and underbody pans resulting in a low coefficient of aerodynamic drag (Cd </wiki/Drag_coefficient>) of 0.27"

The following shows where the TCH fits in to the picture:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automob...g_coefficients

I assume wheel spats another name for the air dams. I would still like to know how they reduce drag.

Last edited by Paulgw; 10-17-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Drag is not always easy to predict or foresee, because it becomes very complex very quickly. For example a golf ball with small dimples on it's surface creates less drag than smooth surface ball, contrary to what one may think. if I had to speculate I would think small air dams redirect the airflow down and to the sides to disturb laminate airflow along underneath of the body going to the wheel well. In other words small turbulence created by the plastic pieces lowers the turbulence of air entering the wheel well and tire. Similar to small dimples on golf ball creating small air disturbances up front and lowering negative pressure in the back at the same time, with net result being lower drag total.
This page explains golf ball aerodynamics in very simple way:
http://www.fi.edu/wright/again/wings...r/golf-01.html

Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by Paulgw
I have just checked Wikipedia and found the following information which partially answers my question:-

" Use of wheel spats and underbody pans resulting in a low coefficient of aerodynamic drag (Cd </wiki/Drag_coefficient>) of 0.27"

The following shows where the TCH fits in to the picture:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automob...g_coefficients

I assume wheel spats another name for the air dams. I would still like to know how they reduce drag.
I think Wheel Spats are something different. The Ferrari Formula 1 team started running what they called wheel spats this year.
(see link)

I would guess that the little winglets are to reduce drag .... or could it be to help reduce road noise?