Alaska or other cold states

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Alaska or other cold states

folks, do we any Alaska or other cold areas TCH owners here? North Canada maybe?

what it your average mpg? just curious.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Alaska or other cold states

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
folks, do we any Alaska or other cold areas TCH owners here? North Canada maybe?

what it your average mpg? just curious.
In winter we are normally around -20, though a few mornings of -40 are not uncommon.

Winter mileage for me suffers as I have a short (6mi) commute through city traffic so the engine does not get to full operating temp. Actually, it doesn't even get warm enough for the engine to auto-stop! Winter mileage ranges from mid 20s to low 30s. Occasionally on weekends we'd do more driving around, and trip mileage then gets to high 30s, so the TCH can do fairly well even in cold temps, but sitting at a red light with the ICE stopped, the SG temp display is a countdown! I can lose 10-15 degrees engine heat at one light.

My summer mileage varies between high 30s to low 40s.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

BOFH,

Have you considered a block heater? I know of some users who live in Texas (heat) and use them year round simply because they have very short commutes.

-Mike

Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 AM

you can also cover your engine with a heat shield. trust me, it won't catch fire. back in Siberia, and Ukraine, where it could drop down to 65 C below and 45 C below respectfully, we had engines covered with gauze filled jackets, famous Russian fufaykas. You simply need to secure it from getting close to belts. mof, i drove my CR-V here with heat shield made out of wall insulation.
but this may be too "primitive" to the country of block heaters and such.

hey, thanks for info. let me ask you this. apparently, you keep resetting your mileage after refills. why don't you try resetting it once - and forgetting about it? it's been said, that only this way one can track THE REAL mpg, as then it builds up over long time and many miles.

but either way, it does appear to be significantly lower than in "warmer" states. 30mpg, i wouldn't even bother buying one.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

When you open your fuel door and the dash reads "refuel ready" or such, it resets the dash MPG per 'tank' automatically.

fyi for those with navigation.

That is how it works in my non-nav vehicle.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM

yes, that one... it's always 2 mpg higher than my nav average reading. and i have not touched nav reading since october or so. so if his are based on that reading - in dash tank average - it's prolly even less than that for long term mpg calculation.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

@jetttstream - I use the block heater year round. You have to realize that my commute is 6 miles in 30 - 35mph city driving, red lights and all. There is no opportunity to really warm up the car before getting to my destinantion.

@ukrkoz - the winter mileage is bad for ALL vehicles. Before the TCH I had an Explorer, in summer averaged high 20s MPG, in winter it dropped into the low teens. Cold weather kills mileage on all cars. You cannot compare winter mileage of the TCH against summer or EPA mileage of another vehicle, its like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:48 AM

bofh, it's cool, don't get upset. explorer is explorer, they are gas hogs everywhere. Camry is in completely different class. point is - cold state mpg for TCH is lower than that for warmer states. it's not winter vs summer mpg. it's cold state vs warm state mpg question.
mine dropped 7mpg winter time here in Seattle also. cold+winter gas do this. but i am 42.5/35.5 summer/winter range and the difference between the states is apparent.

thank you, once again, for responding. appears to be, you are about the only end user here that lives in cold area.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

@BOFH
wow, good to know...You need 2 block heaters

Or a true coolant heater!

Thanks for the info!

-Mike

Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

@BOFH