View Poll Results: All Else = , would you use an aftermarket Oil Additive on your TCH
Definitely - I have experienced MEASURABLE benefits from
2.33%
YES - Although I don't have empirical data, I perceive a significant benefit from using them
2.33%
MAYBE - They can't hurt
16.28%
NO - Why take a chance that this could hurt your long term reliability
51.16%
NO - I know of specific cases where they've made an engine run worse
4.65%
HECK NO - ARE YOU CRAZY? THESE THINGS ARE TRASH and will RUIN YOUR ENGINE !
23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

All else equal - Would you add an Oil Additive like Slick 50 to your TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default All else equal - Would you add an Oil Additive like Slick 50 to your TCH

Certainly regular changing of oil is the most important, but curious if anyone has used a product like Slick 50 for a significant amount of time with measurable benefits.

In 1991, I had an 88 Subaru Justy that I put Slick 50 in, and although I don't know if my 8 months of use was statistically significant, I did notice a MUCH smoother running engine. Didn't think to measure an mpg difference or the like, but I was VERY skeptical of products like this, and must say I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know that I will plan on adding anything to my Hybrid, but thought someone may have good reasons on WHY TO USE or WHY NOT TO USE ONE.

In this poll, remember, this is just ADDING something. I am not asking whether you'd extend oil change intervals or use a different type of oil than you normally would.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: All else equal - Would you add an Oil Additive like Slick 50 to your TCH

I'm not commenting on Slick 50, or any other product specifically. However, every piece of objective info I've read has said that at best these products do nothing, and at worst they're harmful. Most manufacturers don't recommend additives, and there's a reason for it.

So my answer is a resounding no to additives. Of course there are those with scientific evidience like "my car ran smoother".

Old 08-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: All else equal - Would you add an Oil Additive like Slick 50 to your TCH

Originally Posted by Orcrone
So my answer is a resounding no to additives. Of course there are those with scientific evidience like "my car ran smoother".
LOL, well I did notice a difference in how it ran, but admit that is not reason enough to continue use. As a matter of fact, I've never run it in another engine...not due to poor results, but I'm just not convinced.

I'm pretty much in the same vein as you, Orc, which is that the benefit is more of a placebo effect, and why take a chance on gumming up a good engine, when all you really need to do is change oil frequently.

Who knows, though, maybe someone out here can shine some light for us.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 AM

Also, if you use synthetic oil but follow the manufacturer's 5000 mile recommendation for the warranty, then you're already changing the oil more than you need.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 AM

Just wanted to add that I didn't mean any disrespect with the "my car ran smoother" answer.

I few months back I read a report about a university study sponsored by a government agency (don't remember which one). The results were as stated above. They used the results of the study to go after the companies regarding their claims in advertising. Some had to change their advertising, some paid fines and some can no longer be found on the shelves.

I also feel that if Toyota felt they were necessary they would be stocked and sold at the dealership. These are the same people who try to sell you "baby spit-up protectant coating".

Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM
WVGasGuy

NO - Why take a chance that this could hurt your long term reliability
NO - I know of specific cases where they've made an engine run worse
HECK NO - ARE YOU CRAZY? THESE THINGS ARE TRASH and will RUIN YOUR ENGINE !

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION

None of these "no" answers adequately expresses my opinion. I simply think it's a waste of money; and for a group of people that bought a car to save gas and $'s it does not make sense to spend more than is necessary, especially for those that bought a "base" car and are really "frugal". Then again I'm no mechanic, but I would think that you would want your rings to seat and other engine break in issues to occur before you go greasing up the cylinder walls at least if you do use it you might want to wait until you have some miles on your car.

The only good reason to change oil often is to avoid oil breakdown and ultimate non-protection of parts against friction. I've already stated that I feel synthetics are a waste of money if you change your oil evey 5000 miles and even more so if you change it every 3000 miles. Modern oils, in a low RPM engine should have absolutely no issues running 5000 miles. Slick 50 is one step beyond synthetics. I don't see as it's needed. For someone like me that has driven 10,000 miles in 3 months I would not hesitate using synthetics and changing every 15,000 miles if it wasn't for voiding the warranty. Long trips (high milage) are not what kills the oil. My old BMW engine conputer analyzed the starts and miles and other things back in the 80's and I typically didn't need an oil change under 7000 miles, usually less often.

This engine is a de-tuned, low reving, low hp/cu in engine, not a high performance 8000rpm redline engine. If built to quality Toyota standards it should last a loooong time.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 AM

I would not touch Slick 50 with a 10 foot pole.

Read about the FTC lawsuite against Quaker State (the owner of Slick 50) due to misleading advertising about improved engine performance and reduced engine wear.

A good article describing problems with Slick 50 and similar additives is Snake Oil! Is That Additive Really A Negative?

More interesting info is in this article, The not-so-clever classic oil additives

Engines were designed to use engine oil, not Teflon.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good stuff, peeps! I respect all of the opinions expressed, and this is exactly what I was looking for.

Orc, yes, no offense taken, but in your statement, I chuckled to myself knowing that I had just previously made one of those types of statements. No worries, thanks for the input.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

No. If you want to waste money just bring it to me and I'll wave my hands over your hood. If you'd rather do something good with the money send it to any number of deserving organizations doing work for the common good. You may sleep better with the later suggestion but either way, you'll get more out of it than buying S50.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Shouldn't people wonder why Dupont, the maker of Teflon; has never advertised that their product is useful as an engine "wonder" lubricant.
They could potentially make big bucks if all this was true.

Don't waste your money. And I have heard of cases where Slick 50 clogged the oil filter - not good.

Regards,

Quick Reply: All else equal - Would you add an Oil Additive like Slick 50 to your TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands