Annual State Inspection

Old 12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Annual State Inspection

Just a quick question...It is almost a year since I purchased my TCH and it is due for its NYS inspection. I was going to bring it to the dealer...who is 25+ miles away from my home (though close to work!) Has anyone trusted an inspection to a local station? It would be so much more convenient since I will be off that week... THANKS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 12-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Annual State Inspection

If you are located in Seaford, NY then you can always take it to Atlantic Toyota in Amityville. It should only be a few miles from you.

But to be honest, I do not know why you would have a problem taking it to a local mechanic, it is not like they are taking your car apart to do the inspection. I intend on taking mine to a local shop to do maintenance and inspections.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you use a local mechanic, make sure they're reputable (do your due diligence!). I went to a place called "Automotive Works" that I saw in the Coupon Clipper. I was pissed off at my Toyota Service Center...bad move, as it ended up costing like 70 bucks for my PA Emissions and Safety Inspection, plus the tech screwed up my leather steering wheel. He had something clipped to his pocket (the clip was metal) and must have rubbed up against it when he was getting in or out. Now there are little scores or "razor cuts" in my steering wheel that'll cost me 150 bucks just to patch up, or a grand to replace the entire wheel!

Of course, I'm not doing either right now, I'm not in a position financially to worry about something cosmetic. But, it'll become a problem with time and wear, so I'll deal with it at some point.

Long story short, make sure you go to a reputable place where they hold their employees accountable (and have a name to defend and protect). The place I went to was a joke (they claimed state of the art, but they were in some 70s concrete box with furniture they found out by the dumpster).

I'm friends with a service manager at Toyota, he told me that if something had happened to my car like that there, they would have just replaced the whole wheel if I had complained about it. I guess that's one good thing about going to the dealer.

Also, I get coupons in the mail for state inspections and stuff from Toyota Service. I think I can get the PA Emissions and Safety Inspection for $39.99 or something like that.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seaford
Just a quick question...It is almost a year since I purchased my TCH and it is due for its NYS inspection. I was going to bring it to the dealer...who is 25+ miles away from my home (though close to work!) Has anyone trusted an inspection to a local station? It would be so much more convenient since I will be off that week... THANKS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I moved Poughkeepsie and since then I've used the local Mavis Discount Tire for all of my inspections (for my previous 1997 Ford Ranger and my current TCH). They know how to handle hybrids which is my biggest concern.

Personally, I would not use the dealer.