Another recall - stick accelerators

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Along for the ride.....
Default Another recall - stick accelerators

Toyota issued a recall for 2.3 million late model cars, SUVs and pickup trucks Thursday, acting after "isolated reports" of sticking accelerator pedals.
This action is separate from an ongoing recall of about 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal "entrapment" caused by floor mats, according to a news release issued by Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. About 1.7 million Toyota vehicles are subject to both recalls, the company said.
“In recent months, Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats,” Toyota group Vice President Irv Miller said in the statement.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Another recall - stick accelerators

Originally Posted by Mainer
Toyota issued a recall for 2.3 million late model cars, SUVs and pickup trucks Thursday, acting after "isolated reports" of sticking accelerator pedals.
This action is separate from an ongoing recall of about 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal "entrapment" caused by floor mats, according to a news release issued by Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. About 1.7 million Toyota vehicles are subject to both recalls, the company said.
“In recent months, Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats,” Toyota group Vice President Irv Miller said in the statement.

It's important to note that Toyota Camry Hybrids ARE NOT included in this recall.

"No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by this recall action. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids."

Last edited by jbollt; 01-21-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting, Toyota Canada just sent me a recall letter about the accelerator pedal on my TCH.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by BOFH
Interesting, Toyota Canada just sent me a recall letter about the accelerator pedal on my TCH.
That is the original "floor mat" recall. Just got mine last week too. They want to reshape the pedal and floor area. I'm kind of reluctant to have this part done, sounds like cut the bottom of your pedal off and bash the floor panel down a bit to make it less likely to get trapped by a floor mat. I'm going to wait until they have the new software update available that will deactivate the gas pedal if the brake pedal is pressed.

This new one seems to be a problem with the pedal itself getting jammed. Not sure why the TCH is not included, I know its a drive by wire setup, but I assumed all Camry pedals were setup the same way, but maybe not. I assumed most cars used the drive by wire these days. My Sienna has that, maybe thats why its not included either.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Droid13
That is the original "floor mat" recall. Just got mine last week too. They want to reshape the pedal and floor area. I'm kind of reluctant to have this part done, sounds like cut the bottom of your pedal off and bash the floor panel down a bit to make it less likely to get trapped by a floor mat. I'm going to wait until they have the new software update available that will deactivate the gas pedal if the brake pedal is pressed.

This new one seems to be a problem with the pedal itself getting jammed. Not sure why the TCH is not included, I know its a drive by wire setup, but I assumed all Camry pedals were setup the same way, but maybe not. I assumed most cars used the drive by wire these days. My Sienna has that, maybe thats why its not included either.
In order for an "run a way" TCH ICE to accelerate the car inordinantely at least on the electric motors would have to be stalled, locked in place. Besides which this is not only a rather smallish I4 it is also derated via the use of the atkinson cycle.

So the brakes on the TCH, partially powered by the run-a-way ICE itself, would probably "hold".

Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think I'm with Droid13. I don't really want my pedal cut off and floorboard bashed. My pedal is not even close to the floor mats. Is there another problem?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
I think I'm with Droid13. I don't really want my pedal cut off and floorboard bashed. My pedal is not even close to the floor mats. Is there another problem?
I haven't read it all, but I believe, unlike the myth that floormats are the cause of all accidents (and global warming), there is something in the mechanism that causes the pedal to stay in the depressed (accelerating) position.
This makes 1000 times more sense than that other nonsense.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 AM

I talked with the local toyota tech here in town. He said they sent him to a toyota school a few weeks ago to certify him to do the upgrade on the various recalled models.

He said they will be installing a new drive-by-wire accelerator assembly. The new one will make the pedal higher from the floor. This may include replacing the throttle body assembly. Looks like this is on the gas models only.

He did mention the TCH has the throttle release feature on the brakes. No matter what the throttle, you press the brakes and it should relax the engine to idle.

I did read on some web news page that if your accelerator is physically slow to return after pressing it down or if it's hard to depress. This test would be done while sitting still with the engine and key off. If your accelerator has those symptoms, they included a toyota 800 phone number to call to get it quickly fixed. Sorry I did not keep the number. I think it was the main Toyota Customer Service number in California.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-24-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What rburt07 says makes much more sense then floor mats. I have not had any issues with my TCH.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:09 AM

While this all makes sense, it also brings about a real dilemma.
I don't think anyone wanted to have their pedal chopped down just to make enough room for extra thick **** carpeted floor mats with padding, so I doubt many would have availed themselves of recall solution #1.
Now that it appears there's something mechanical at work here, the need to address the situation has changed significantly. I imagine all drivers would want their pedal assembly to be working properly.
I'm not happy with having anyone touch anything (I'm from the school that says "if it aint broke, don't fix it")...but it appears that it's broken and needs to be fixed, right?

Quick Reply: Another recall - stick accelerators

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands