Any interest in a hybrid cooling system coolant change how to?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default Any interest in a hybrid cooling system coolant change how to?

After replacing the water pump last weekend, I didn't have enough Toyota long life coolant to change the coolant in the hybrid cooling system at the same time. I need to do that and wouldn't mind doing a write-up of that as well if you would be interested.

You would need a bi-directional scanner to do this however as the hybrid water pump needs to run in order to purge the air out of the system before start-up. Just let me know about that. Another possible would be a brake system install as it would just take a few minutes during a tire rotation to tear them out and take some pictures of that as well.

Are there any other repair/maintenance items that you would like to see? I think we have one for the power split (tranny) fluid change but that is very simple to do and doesn't take a lot to explain.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 01-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any interest in a hybrid cooling system coolant change how to?

Am interested and it will be very helpful, what kind of bi-directional scanner you use?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Lincoln,

You can use a Techstream from Toyota or what I use, a Snap-on scanner. There are others that might be able to do this but I'm not familar with them. Any Snap-on from the Solus Pro, Solus Ultra, Modis, Verus or Verdict series should work as long as they are current on the software. I will hook mine up tonight to make sure about them and will post the commands to make it happen when I do the write-up.

It should only take about 20-30 minutes or so from start to finish as all that you do is drain the coolant, fill the reserve tank, hook up your scanner and start the active hybrid pump test and add coolant until the system is full.

If my Modis will not run the pump test, I will borrow a Techstream from a buddy of mine in Tenn....It helps to have friends in the business to share tools with...

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 03-26-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Can't afford those scanners, I was tempted to buy one of those chinese clones in ebay (toyota intelligent tester) but since there are no reviews for those I think I'll just let the dealership do the inverter coolant flush when my TCH reach 100k. If you know of any affordable bi-directional scanners let us know.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Most local mechanics have a good scanner and don't charge NEAR what a dealer will for this. Not counting the coolant, I doubt they will get much more than $50-$75 in this area to drain, re-fill and hook up the scanner for this.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 01-09-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Would there be a relay in the relay panel that one could jumper to run the pump?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Ron,

I never thought about trying to jumper the relay for the pump but that might work. With the controls this car has however, it might inform the feds, nasa and the russian goverment as well as the local smog squad that you attempted this. If I get a chance tomorrow night, I will take a look at the schematics and see if we can do that. I just got in from taking a look at a buddy's diesel truck which required a 2 hour BS session, a few Coronas and 2 minutes to hook up the scanner to find out he needs to replace cylinder #7's glow plug

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do it, man. You've proven self to do great write ups. Btw, will that scanner allow brakes bleeding? They keep saying you have to run actuators in ABS module to do that.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the delay guys, just got home from the gun show and dropping everyone off. Had a great time but didn't get the coolant change done tonight but will tomorrow when I get home. Did check the scanner though and the hybrid pump run test is under the hybrid contols/actuator test/water pump/on/off.

Ukrkoz, yes, Snap-on scanners can actuate the ABS system.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You want to try it? Scanner, I mean. My brake fluid is tear clear, but eventually it'll get there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any interest in a hybrid cooling system coolant change how to?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands