Any similar problems with rear-view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Any similar problems with rear-view mirror?

The other day I went through a drive through car wash to get the terrible looking snow and salt off of my black TCH. I have gone to this car wash for almost 6 years now and have never had a problem.

This time, however, I went through, got out and drove home, and then noticed that the glass on my exterior passenger rear view mirror was cracked. It ended up not being a huge problem because I told Toyota it just happened as soon as it got cold out and it is now covered under warranty (there was no impact mark to be found).

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone else is having or has had similar problems with their mirrors. Like I said I have taken my cars to this place for over 6 years now and never had a problem. On top of that I have NEVER heard of anyone this has happened to at ANY car wash. I don't know if this is the place and I got unlucky or if there is some faulty manufacturing in the mirrors. So let me know what you all think and if anyone else has had similar problems.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any similar problems with rear-view mirror?

The mirror could have been chipped on the edge where you could not see it. Maybe a hairline crack that was not really visible. Living where it's cold the car wash probably used heated water. The temp change caused the defect to show up with the crack.

Your using the same car wash for so many years would eliminate any problems there.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
The mirror could have been chipped on the edge where you could not see it. Maybe a hairline crack that was not really visible. Living where it's cold the car wash probably used heated water. The temp change caused the defect to show up with the crack.

Your using the same car wash for so many years would eliminate any problems there.
I second that.

I've had no problems using the local brushless car wash.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

Hello mgoblue6202, I took our Prius in for service last weekend. The dealer washed the car and I noticed the passenger side rear mirror was cracked. The dealer replaced the mirror for us. So, it could have been a combination of cold weather and hot water for the wash.

I do notice the replacement mirror is a bit weird, objects seems not as focused and appear uneven. How is your replacement mirror look to you?