Anyone catch "Boston Legal" 12/18?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:32 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Anyone catch "Boston Legal" 12/18?

Anyone catch Boston Legal last night?
Crane Poole and Schmidt were sued for not being "Green".
Shirley made some interesting points some of which pertained to Hybrids not being as "Green" as they appear.
Like:
Energy required, transportation, and polution produced to mine and process the Nickel in the batteries. The fact that Hybrids get better mileage means people drive more and actually use more gasoline than non-hybrids. More polution generated to produce a hybrid than a Hummer.
Not sure if GM is a sponsor of the show but it did make for an interesting listen.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Malcontent
Default Re: Anyone catch "Boston Legal" 12/18?

GM is very aggressive in product placements, e.g., the Transformers movie. Ford and VW are as well. In fact, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between the movie and the car commercial. This summer, ads for Bourne and the VW Toureg were shamelessly blended into one.

So, I wouldn't put it past GM but it could just be a rogue writer.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:43 AM
my other car is a FJORD

i don't have a direct link, but the BS about the hummer has been discussed and proven to be incorrect many times on this site and others.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Malcontent

Maybe the writers of the show will do some research about hybrids. They have all the time in the world now that they're on strike.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I really don't see where the claim "getting better gas mileage means you'll drive more and waste more gas" comes from. That sounds totally bogus to me. I drive exactly as much as I need to, no matter what I'm driving. The TCH just makes it much more enjoyable and fuel-economical.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chestr
I really don't see where the claim "getting better gas mileage means you'll drive more and waste more gas" comes from. That sounds totally bogus to me. I drive exactly as much as I need to, no matter what I'm driving. The TCH just makes it much more enjoyable and fuel-economical.
I don't have any scientific evidence to back this one up, but if someone has a Chevy Suburban and gas prices are spiking, they would be less likely to go for a short drive to attend to a non urgent item, than they would if they had a hybrid and prices were falling.
You may not, and I accept that you don't do any more driving than you have to, but the perceived cost of driving has a large effect on a lot of drivers.
It has to, it's an economic decision.
People may not consciously sit there and calculate the cost of driving (although some at this forum might), but it does have an effect...IMHO

Old 12-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Malcontent

Yet a hybrid driver probably has the opposite mentality.

They might try to combine trips and cut out unnecessary driving regardless of gas prices.

I'm not driving any more or any differently than before I got a hybrid. I was always trying to conserve energy.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I don't have any scientific evidence to back this one up, but if someone has a Chevy Suburban and gas prices are spiking, they would be less likely to go for a short drive to attend to a non urgent item, than they would if they had a hybrid and prices were falling.
You may not, and I accept that you don't do any more driving than you have to, but the perceived cost of driving has a large effect on a lot of drivers.
It has to, it's an economic decision.
People may not consciously sit there and calculate the cost of driving (although some at this forum might), but it does have an effect...IMHO
Sure people may not worry so much about driving _less_ if they're not in a gas-guzzling vehicle that's costing hundreds of dollars per month in fuel costs, but I don't see them driving _more_, which was the original statement. But the purpose of getting a hybrid isn't to reduce the amount you drive, it's to be able to do the driving you already do without wasting tons of fuel and money in the process.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like a task for the Mythbusters.

In the mean time this can shed some light on the issue.

http://www.pacinst.org/topics/integr...r_vs_prius.pdf

Old 12-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koji68
In the mean time this can shed some light on the issue.

http://www.pacinst.org/topics/integr...r_vs_prius.pdf
Great reference! It's a shame that the media won't pay as much attention to this as they did to the Dust-to-Dust report. Not surprising, but a shame nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Anyone catch "Boston Legal" 12/18?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands