ANyone have Geico Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default ANyone have Geico Insurance?

When I go online to get a quote there is no option for Toyota Camry Hybrid, just Camry.

Does anyone have Geico and how did it work out for you?

Old 10-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ANyone have Geico Insurance?

I have Geico. I can't remember the options, but at some point they'll ask for the VIN. It will give them all the info they need.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 AM

I have Geico also, VIN number was all they asked. You can call them up and talk to rep.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 AM

I had Geico, until I got my TCH. When I called to update the new car, they qouted my a significantly higher premium than the car it was replacing, an 03 Highlander, which had an MSRP of almost the same, within $500. I was shocked. I am a member of AARP, (not hiding my age, LOL), so I called their ins. people, (The Hartford) and they quoted me less than I was paying before the new TCH. I then called Geico back to see what they could do, and they couldn't come near. If I remember correctly, I am saving over $600 per year with AARP over what Geico quoted me. I was very happy with Geico before this, but money talks.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I too had been a long-time customer of GEICO until I got the quote for my TCH. At the time I requested quotes for several vehicles, including a non-hybrid 07 Camry, and was pretty shocked that I would be paying more for the TCH than for any of the other vehicles. When I asked why I was told it was, "because the technology is so new" .

My husband works for an insurance broker (as an IT person), so we decided to have them get quotes for us from other insurance companies and see what the price would be. I am now paying LESS for insuring my TCH with Traveler's than I was paying GEICO for my 1999 Corolla .

Old 10-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Similar experience with Amica, they are about $200 higher than comparable, but have been with them so long and have gotten great service I'm prepared to eat that.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Additional note:

I called my agent quick. His two cents were:

"It all depends if they classify the hybrid differently. We do, some companies don't, they treat it like a high end camry. This means they are cheaper but can cause some issues if they are totalled due to differences in MSRP. We had the same issues with the Accord Hybrids when they came out"

Quote should be pretty close to exact.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loonbeam
Additional note:

I called my agent quick. His two cents were:

"It all depends if they classify the hybrid differently. We do, some companies don't, they treat it like a high end camry. This means they are cheaper but can cause some issues if they are totalled due to differences in MSRP. We had the same issues with the Accord Hybrids when they came out"

Quote should be pretty close to exact.
When I got my quotes for the TCH and the 07 Camry I asked for quotes for comparably equipped vehicles. More than once during the conversation the person with whom I was speaking indicated that hybrid technology is "so new" that it affects the rates.

Travelers has a hybrid discount program.