Anyone Know Where I can buy Battery Smart Unit for 2007 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone Know Where I can buy Battery Smart Unit for 2007 TCH

My source is just a guy ... (I know, I know .. buyer beware) so he won't need my core. I'm in Upstate (Rochester) NY

Old 12-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

8 hours round trip + money = a lot of risk for me. If you have any concern about integrity, pull the case cover and confirm all modules have the same first four digits and the same last digit. Otherwise, it's been tampered with.

As far as the question goes, I'd put it on craigslist and ask for $300 or so.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

Status Update.

I found a local guy who works on hybrids and is a certified installer for some replacement vendors. He put my car on his intelligent scanner for $49 and found that Block 7 is not holding a charge. all the other blocks are steady 16 to 17 v while block 7 is down to 14 and up high 17's and won't hold the charge.

So my options now are to either play another round of Wack-a-mole and replace block 7, or make the 9 hour round trip and buy the $600 battery of unknown condition. If I get the new battery, my guy will install it in exchange for the core, but it would also be an easy DIY install and I could then try and sell the core.

What to do ?

Old 12-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Reasonable options.

You have a third option. Whack the mole, but invest in ~$500 Hybrid Automotive Prolong Reconditioning package.

After replacement, you can recondition the pack as a whole and maximize the available capacity. It's this step that most skip and results in the joy of whack-a-mole as the pack remains in whatever deteriorated state it is in.

There are additional techniques you can use during the process to enhance your results and actually compute approximately capacities of modules and easily identify underperforming modules.

I recently helped a 2010 Prius owner with this process, and we readily identified 10 modules with less than 2000mAh capacity and another 6 with 2000-3000mAh capacity. The remaining 12 are all over 4000, which is decent for a DIY repair with continued grid charging maintenance.

Full disclosure: I am an authorized installer for Hybrid Automotive. I receive no financial benefit from recommending their products. I recommend them because I believe they offer a very useful product with sound practices that gives excellent results if the pack is salvageable. I have also recommended them for years prior to having any relationship with them. My status as an installer entitles me to a small discount on units I purchase for re-sale.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

so how does the Prolong unit work... do you have to recondition 1 cell at a time, or does it do multiple cells at once ? how long would it take to do all 34 cells ?

Old 12-20-2017, 10:51 AM

It includes a harness that connects to the pack, a charger and a discharger (dual light bulbs). You charge the pack to true 100% SoC and discharge the pack with the bulbs. It also drives the car's cooling fan during the charge process.

It reconditions all modules at the same time. Due to the low current charging, charges typically take 24-30 hours assuming full pack capacity. Discharges typically take the better part of a day as well depending on bulbs used.

You can read the overview here:

https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/recon

Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Update:

In January, I pulled the battery apart and found 2 bad cells (One really shot and one performing a little worse than the others) so I replace both. Now for the past 2000 miles, I run for about 200 miles (15-20 starts) ... and then the system codes again 0A80, and then I reset and the car runs again for 4 or 5 days.

could the 12V battery have anything to do with this, or is it just bad cells? If the two new cells were not charged to the exact level of the old cells, will they eventually balance themselves?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:06 PM

Yes, but probably not. Subject it to a load test at an auto parts store. You'll have your answer.

Probably, or you MIGHT have a connection/harness problem. Bus bars should be clean, and all module nuts should be at 48 in-lb.

Somewhat depending on severity.

Given my experience, the replacement modules are likely bad, OR the game of whack-a-mole has started where the next weakest module in your pack that you didn't replace is triggering low capacity.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

Had the 12V tested at Autozone. Their tester says the battery is BAD. Couldn't give me any further information. They want $259 including tax for Odyssey replacement

Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

Also, Can the 12V AGM battery be reconditioned using standard digital battery charger with recondition feature ?

Quick Reply: Anyone Know Where I can buy Battery Smart Unit for 2007 TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands