ATF changing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Default ATF changing

I have a Camry 2007. It is out of waranty. I want to ask if i have to change the ATF or not and when? Also, how can i check the ATF level? it is now about 73000 miles.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: ATF changing

The fluid level should be at or within 1mm of the fill plug hole. According to Toyota, you do not need to change the fluid as it is a "lifetime" fluid....Yeh....right.

Mine will be changed next weekend. This weekend is reserved for a new timing belt, water pump and seals on the wifes Pilot.

If you change it yourself, make sure you get the fill plug out first BEFORE you drain the fluid out. That way you know you can put the fluid in the case...I know of one guy that could not break the fill plug loose on the rear end of a Honda Pilot. It sat there for two days until I got back in town to help him out because he had already drained the fluid out and could not put anything back in.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 AM

Thank you, but i still need more information

>> The fluid level should be at or within 1mm of the fill plug hole.
What do you mean by plug hole?

>> According to Toyota, you do not need to change the fluid as it is a
>> "lifetime" fluid....Yeh....right
I couldn't find where Toyota mentioned this?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
HSD Organic Interface

See the attached pic for location of filler hole to check level. This is really not meant for casual inspection by everyday driver. There is no dipstick like a car with a normal automatic transmission has. Unlike an automatic transmission where the fluid performs special functions besides lubrication, the fluid in the Camry's transaxle is for lubrication, just like in a RWD car's differential or like in a manual transmission.

As GAH said, there is no recommended interval for changing the fluid. Under normal conditions the fluid should last a very long time, but individual circumstances vary. My personal opinion is one, maybe two changes during entire life of vehicle is appropriate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
transaxle.jpg (20.8 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Droid13; 04-01-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Gonna change my fluid tonight or tomorrow. Another thread suggests using a two foot long piece of clear tubing and small funnel to refill the housing. I picked up the fluid last night at Toyota, it was $7 a quart. Capacity is supposed to be 3.7 quarts according to Toyota.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 AM

I tried to check the filler hole but i could find it. Do i have to come from under the car?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:27 PM

The filler hole is to the left of the drive shaft about where 9 0'clock would be if that helps.

You have to get under the car to place a hose into the filler hole. You can then fill it slowly from the top. The other option would be to have a small manual pump to pump the fluid in while you are under the car.

The fill and drain plugs are 10MM allen wrench heads.

I put the car up on four jack stands to change my fluid so I could get under the car to take the plugs out and drain the fluid. I then filled it from above, I got 3.5 to 3.75 quarts of fluid back into mine before it flowed out. I could put my little finger in the hole and get fluid on it.

The fluid I drained was dirty, I would say not gross, but dirty, but didn't smell too bad. For less than $30, it is piece of mind.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
The fluid level should be at or within 1mm of the fill plug hole. According to Toyota, you do not need to change the fluid as it is a "lifetime" fluid....Yeh....right.

Mine will be changed next weekend. This weekend is reserved for a new timing belt, water pump and seals on the wifes Pilot.

If you change it yourself, make sure you get the fill plug out first BEFORE you drain the fluid out. That way you know you can put the fluid in the case...I know of one guy that could not break the fill plug loose on the rear end of a Honda Pilot. It sat there for two days until I got back in town to help him out because he had already drained the fluid out and could not put anything back in.
Well, the fluid is lifetime - when the fluid deteriorates and no longer lubricates, the life of the component ends.