Aux input not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Aux input not working

I had my vehicle (2007) in for service to replace the dashboard. I have a vehicle kit for my XM radio. The radio was working fine before the service was done and now it doesn't work. The vehicle radio won't switch to the Aux input. The XM radio is on and appears to be working, but there's no sound. Is there something behind the dashboard that connects the aux port to the vehicle radio?

Last edited by cbrookhart; 06-06-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aux input not working

I have no idea. If you took it in for service, and it doesn't work after the work was performed, it's reasonable to conclude something was done incorrectly.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

I was hoping to find out if there was something under the dashboard that connects the aux input to the vehicle radio.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:37 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know. You may find some tear down videos on youtube. I've pulled two Prius dashes, and there are a dozen connectors to remember to plug in. I can't imagine it's any better with the Camry.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

The car radio should switch to the AUX input regardless of whether or not something is connected there, right?

It amazes me that the service techs would not test this sort of thing before stating that the job is done and giving the car back to the customer.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:04 PM

I don't know.

I'm not sure what fantasy land you've been living in, but shoddy work is the norm with dealerships. They overcharge based on the book hour estimate and then underpay the techs demanding that they work much faster than that.

I have never had a positive experience with a dealership.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

So after going back to the dealer and having them check things out, naturally they didn't find anything wrong. Just as I was about to leave, the aux port stopped working.

Took some effort to explain the steering wheel radio control functions and showing as well as explaining the aux jack.

It seems that when the jack stops working, I just to have unplug what's connected and plug it back in and also maybe juggle the cord around a bit. The conclusion is that the aux jack has gone bad.

It's a very interesting coincidence that this happened only after the vehicle was serviced and there were no indications of any problems before the service. The service advisor, tech, and service manager could not confirm either way if the dashboard removal had anything to do with the issue I'm having now.

Having obtained a printout of the wiring diagram, the spiral cable in the steering wheel, and the aux jack; it seems like these are all connected to each other in the dashboard.