Aux Jack Failure - 2007 Non-NAV TCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Aux Jack Failure - 2007 Non-NAV TCH

A week after getting my first new phone in 5 years, my AUX port on my 2007 TCH (non-nav) appears to have shorted out. I have for years left an audio cable plugged into the AUX jack and connected the other end to my cell phone to play music. When I got my new phone, I noticed some hissing at times through the AUX when I had the USB charger plugged into the phone. Not always, but on several occasions.

After a week, I suddenly can't get the stereo to stay in "AUX". Pressing the CD/AUX button repeatedly won't do anything but CD. I did find that pushing a bit on the audio cable where it plugs into the jack, while at the same time pushing the CD/AUX button, will sometimes change the display to AUX. But that lasts about 1 second.

So I'm wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience with AUX quitting? Also, in my memory, AUX can be selected any time an audio cable is connected to the AUX jack, regardless of whether something is connected to the other end. Perhaps somebody could confirm that this is true?

I guess I'm going to take this to the dealer soon and finally test out my Toyota Platinum extended warranty.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aux Jack Failure - 2007 Non-NAV TCH

If I had to make wild guess, I would put my bet on the jack being rusted, not broken. There are some sprays that could fix bad connection like this.
Never used Aux connection, don't want to rundown phone battery, if I could burn DVD with music, so can't answer other AUX questions.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM

streaming via AUX jack here. that's the one hidden deep inside the junk compartment in the center console, right? or yours is built into stereo, as I have nav unit?
yes, you should be able to switch to AUX if there's anything plugged in, even just a cable.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
streaming via AUX jack here. that's the one hidden deep inside the junk compartment in the center console, right? or yours is built into stereo, as I have nav unit?
yes, you should be able to switch to AUX if there's anything plugged in, even just a cable.
Thanks. Yes, I am referring to the one deep in the center compartment under the climate control. My recollection was that AUX was selectable as soon as a cable was plugged in there. Time to see how Platinum Care works....

Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 AM

good for you and Platinum Care. mine just died on me this morning. NOTHING. it detects cable, I can switch to AUX on head unit, no sound.

I'll look into it deeper. I am hoping it's my phone, as it has Voodoo Controls installed, that influence jack output. Can't check on it now, as car is parked inside concrete garage and there's no Pandora reception there. I fooled with Voodoo settings just before I went back to streaming today.

Will report later.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 AM

naah, it still works. must have been Voodoo settings on the phone.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Well, I got my AUX port replaced at the dealer, covered under the Toyota Platinum warranty. Otherwise it was $110 for the part and just under $30 for labor. I think this was the first time I used the Platinum warranty, 5 1/2 years after I bought the car.

One last thing. The dealer told me there are 2 AUX ports now for the 2007 TCH. One part is identical to what came in mine. Then there is an upgraded part designed to fix static in the AUX connection. They went with the original part because it was on-hand and the upgraded part was over a month on back-order. I only learned this after the fact, but so far I only hear a bit of background hiss when the head unit volume is turned up very loud while the music is paused.

Anyway, not sure if this will help anyone....