Battery Blanket

Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Blanket

Originally Posted by tharvey
Bit of a calculation error
480 watts times 4 hours = 1.920 kwh@ 9cents per kwh which includes all taxes surcharges and delivery charges amounts to about 17.28 cents per day or $5.18 per month or $63.07 per year.

given that gas is around 2.50 per gallon we could buy 25.228 gallons of additional gasoline which would allow us to travel a further distance of about 1000 miles.

One must wonder if we are really saving anything.
Unfortunately the calculations are not as simple as that.

1) cost is 6 cents /KWh + 2.5% city tax, 7% Provincial tax and 5% Federal tax, total cost is 6.8 cents/KWh, so only 13 cents /day used.

2) we have it cold here, but not year round ! For sake of argument, lets call it a total of 5 months (30 days each for easy calc) - 150 days * $0.13= $19.50 per year.

3) the pumps today are posted at $1/l or Can$3.78/US gal (we wish that we only paid $2.50) so we get 5.2 gal of fuel could be bought instead of the electricity.

4) you cannot calculate the extra gas at 35+MPG, since if you do not use the electricity, the ICE is ice cold (sorry, pun) and the engine will rev high and stay in mode 1 and 2 for much longer thereby negating the hybrid advantages (no ICE shutoff at red lights, no EV mode)

Now for a bunch of assumptions and simplifications...

1) Cold, TCH runs at 20MPG, at temp at 30MPG
2) It takes an EXTRA 10min to warm up the ICE if it is not plugged in
3) Commute is at a steady 30MPH, no allowances for standing at a red light with ICE running (or not).

So...
- 10 min at 30mph = 5 mi
- fuel consumed for 5 mi: @20MPG = 1/4 gal @30MPG = 1/6 gal
- cost of fuel: 1/4 gal = $0.945 1/6 gal = $0.63
- difference between pluged in or not ($0.315 - $0.13) is 18.5 cents per day in favour of plugging it in.

intangible: when it is -30 outside, heater blowing warm air that much sooner, priceless

DISCLAIMER: the above made sense to me when I typed it, but may be completely wrong, so feel free to double check my work.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Wink Re: Battery Blanket

Actually it does not matter if your calculations are correct or not, if you are happy and like it, that all that matters.
I can remember visiting in calgary when the temperature was -40 degrees and at that temperature both farenheight and celius are the same and when I turned on my heated seats and received instant warmth the option was priceless.

Enjoy your car and options regardless of what I and others might say.

But your electricity is sure cheap there

we have electricity cost
line cost
transmission cost
minimun consumption cost
billing and accounting costs
carbon tax
gst on above
pst on above

and now when we consume over a minute per day usage we have an accelerated electricity cost.

all in all a little over 10 cents a killowat compared to a cost of 5 cents just over 6 years ago before the province sold of the electrical distribution.

tim

Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tharvey
Actually it does not matter if your calculations are correct or not, if you are happy and like it, that all that matters.

tim

You're right on that one.

I've been plugging in for the last couple of weeks since it started hitting around 0C/32F overnight. I found that my short commute didn't let the ICE warm up until I was almost at work, now it is warmed up by the time I hit the main commute road and I can happily EV my way to work

Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

You guys crack me up, especially with all your calculations and whatnot. Whatever happened to walking out to your car, putting the key in the ignition, and driving? haha

Old 10-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeRemix
You guys crack me up, especially with all your calculations and whatnot. Whatever happened to walking out to your car, putting the key in the ignition, and driving? haha
It went out with $4.50 gas, driving on battery power and that dang gauge on the left which shows me how badly I'm doing on the FE front!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

It went out with $5.50 gas (that's what we were paying this summer), driving on battery power and that dang gauge on the left which shows me how badly I'm doing on the FE front!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

no, not an idea, but how much the block heater and the blanket burn. Please ignore the other entries but the Watts, I didn't reset the unit before plug-in it in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Both Heaters.jpg (40.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Put a key in the ignition? What's that?