Battery for spare key? Remove battery or put in aluminum foil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:57 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08
Default Battery for spare key? Remove battery or put in aluminum foil?

The following is a post I put on the Prius forum but which got no responses. It seems Prius owners are too "green" to post there as there are few postings as compared to this one.

I am posting here for two reasons:
  1. I hope to get an answer and it is applicable to TCHs as it would be to Prii
  2. I remember discussions in the past about these issues on this forum although not much related to my question since few people get third keys with the car.
I appreciate any ideas. Thanks. And, yes, I still have my TCH and have no intentions of getting rid of it. Since I bought it fully loaded (and the Prius is a 2 with no options), it will become our trip car and the Prius will be the town car. They can back each other up in case of necessity.

I got a spare (third) key fob with my new Prius. After owning a TCH for 4 years, I realized if I were out somewhere and she wasn't with me and I lost my key, I'd be up a creek. So I told the dealer I wouldn't buy it unless they threw a third key in at no extra cost. They did! (and I got a good price too)

In any case, my plan is to keep the third key buried in the car so all I need to do is have locksmith or mechanic get the door opened and I can retrieve the key. However, I have to do one of two things:
  1. Wrap key fob in aluminum foil to block signals
  2. Remove battery from fob and store it with fob
Both will prevent key from being detected until I unwrap aluminum or put battery back in. Anybody know which would be better? Does wrapping in foil run down the battery any faster than if it were sitting on my dresser w/o the foil? Any problem with leaving the battery out for 6-12 months? My plan would be to rotate fobs every 6 months to make sure the spare is fresh.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery for spare key? Remove battery or put in aluminum foil?

As this is an emergency use only, hide the fob away from the dash without the battery. The fob will now only work with the transponder chip, the same as if the battery in the fob has run down ie you have to hold the fob with the Toyota logo next to the start button to start the vehicle. With the battery removed the fob should not activate any other of its provisions. Remember >> the fob does not need a battery to start the vehicle.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Of the two choices I would remove the battery. Should last longer.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 AM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Originally Posted by paul29
As this is an emergency use only, hide the fob away from the dash without the battery. The fob will now only work with the transponder chip, the same as if the battery in the fob has run down ie you have to hold the fob with the Toyota logo next to the start button to start the vehicle. With the battery removed the fob should not activate any other of its provisions. Remember >> the fob does not need a battery to start the vehicle.
Good idea. I figured that taking the battery out and leaving it in a plastic bag with the fob would allow me to pop it back in when necessary. Your idea is better because I really don't have to pop it in unless the other fob is totally lost. Say we both get in the car and drive to a place where she meets a friend and they leave to go shopping in the friend's car. I forget my key but the car would work - detecting hers even if she were in the passenger seat. After she leaves, I have a car and no way to use it but with your trick, I don't even need to put the battery in and can drive home where I can retrieve my forgotten key.

One vote for removing the battery!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

Correct: Actually if she leaves with the fob and the car is running ( should be obvious as the car will start beeping ), it will continue to run until you actually shut it off ie foot on brake and push the stop button. As long as you do not shut it off you can drive it as long as you want with no fob.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

Store the keyfob in the back of the trunk, maybe in the trunk lid, as far away from the steering wheel as possible.

Should be out of range... or just remove the battery.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

If you store the fob with a good battery in the trunk , you cannot lock the trunk on the 2012 Camry, jpezz just wants to be able to start the vehicle after getting a front door opened. Without a battery in the fob he can put it under a seat etc . The transponder chip in the fob is very weak , it has to be within an inch or so of the start button to operate. If left in the trunk , you would cause major damage to the trunk lid/lock to access it.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paul29
If you store the fob with a good battery in the trunk , you cannot lock the trunk on the 2012 Camry, jpezz just wants to be able to start the vehicle after getting a front door opened. Without a battery in the fob he can put it under a seat etc . The transponder chip in the fob is very weak , it has to be within an inch or so of the start button to operate. If left in the trunk , you would cause major damage to the trunk lid/lock to access it.
What we have found on our 2012 TCH is that if you put a key fob in the trunk it does strange things. First you cannot lock the doors of the car. you get one long beep and the doors do not lock. You can lock the trunk, but you can't open it with the handle even if you have another fob in your pocket. However you can unlock it if you you push the trunk unlock button on the fob. All very strange. Conclusion do not lock your fob in the trunk.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Could be something in the settings. On my 2012 Camry, if you put the fob (with a good battery) in the trunk, the lid can be opened with the button above the plate whether the car doors are locked or not. This is very similar to my Lexus which is almost the same system, see link http://www.lexusmanuals.org/lexus-430.html

Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Just store it in the car without a battery at all. The hidden key will get you in the car door until you get home and the fob without a battery will start the car. Doing it that way will eliminate a bunch of problems.

If you do lose your key, get in the car, hold the fob up to the start button, start the car and drive to a Radio Shack and get another battery.