"best" Epa City

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default "best" Epa City

Every weekend I go to downtown Manhattan to go clubbing and I have realized that anytime I drive on the FDR (speed limit 40 mph) my FE is usually way above 40 mpg (I don't have the nav...sorry guys). I believe it must be upwards of 45 mpg cos I use EV mode for a good 5 miles out of the entire say 10 mile trip from my home.

This makes me theorize that the FDR of NYC is probably one of the best (if not the best) EPA cities....

Anyone with a better city out there?????

Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "best" Epa City

Anytime you are driving slowly on flat terrain, you will get high MPG. The FDR in NYC is noticeable simply because you are driving right next to the river, so it's very easy to see changes in elevation (overpasses, etc), and you can rarely drive above 50mph with all the traffic, so you will be in EV mode quite a bit.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

And NYC does have some redeeming qualities....what do you get on the BQE? (I'm here in Poughkeepsie...a few more hills). I got great mpg the last time I biked up it (Bike NY).

Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Malcontent

With the warmer weather, I've been getting much higher FE numbers. I also switched from my winter wheels to my stock wheels with all season tires. This time I pumped them up to 42/40.

I made two commutes today at 10.3 mi each. The first at 6 am on a cold engine and got 41 mpg. The next 3 trips back and forth were within a few hours of each other so the engine had retained some warmth and I got 52-55 mpg for a day average of 47 mpg.

Speed limits are 30-45 mph with some stoplights and hills.

I ordered a block heater and will use it all year round. Both my parking space and my garage have electrical outlets that I don't have to pay for (though I'll use a timer and not have the engine heated 24/7).

Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, Squint...can you please share the info on the block heater...like part number...did you order it through your dealer or elsewhere? I definitely need it during the winter months...the cold this winter really caused my FE to drop!

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Malcontent

I got the part # from this posting:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...8&postcount=19

And ordered it for $32 from http://www.trdparts4u.com

I've ordered from them in the past.

Once I receive the block heater, I'll attempt to install it and, if successful, will take pictures and describe the procedure so people can decide whether to DIY or have a dealer install it.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cool...or should I say warm! Do keep us posted as to the install. I haven't been on much recently so may have missed the original post.

Thanks!