Bicycle Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Bicycle Rack

I either need to get a bicycle rack for my TCH or keep driving my Explorer. I thought of getting a hitch mount rack, but looking in the owner's manual Toyota does not recommend any hitches, even for wheelchairs or bicycles. So I guess it's either a trunk or roof mounted one. I'm a little nervous about roof mounting. Seems it would be too easy to scratch the paint with the bicycle or even a belt buckle while leaning against the car.

Does anyone have a recommondation of a good bike rack that won't scratch the finish?

Old 07-07-2006, 07:24 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Bicycle Rack

That would be my concern as well. Lifting a bike up to a roof rack could be emotionally disastrous if it slips. I continue to use my Sienna for moving bikes. Moving lots of stuff, or lots of people, that what its for so that's when I'll use it even if I'd prefer to be in my TCH. Besides, think of the aerodynamic impact on the TCH, you'll ruin the database's MPG ave.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Droid13
Besides, think of the aerodynamic impact on the TCH, you'll ruin the database's MPG ave.
I know, but I tend to go bike riding 2 - 3 days/week after work. So it will definitely effect my FE, but I'll still be doing a lot better than getting 16 - 18 mpg on the Explorer those days.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 AM
HSD Organic Interface

It is possible to teach an old dog new tricks. While I was waiting for my TCH I practiced on my driving techniques and was able to bring up the Sienna's normal 21-22mpg to 27 and even 33 on one half tank run. Of course, without E mode calling to you, it's easy to slip back into normal on the gas / on the brake style driving on a non-hybrid. This weekend I've got a 2.5 hr trip for the Sienna and I'm looking to seeing how well I can make it go on a tank. The TCH is staying home because the last 3 miles of the trip is down a barely 1 lane rocky trail cut thru the forest, I couldn't stand to hear the frame touch down or branches scrape along the still perfect mirror finish of the TCH.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

... I continue to use my Sienna for moving bikes. ...
Interesting. We are about to get rid of our Sienna, and purchasing a more fuel-efficient car like a TCH or another HCH, and using racks to carry the bikes around. We will get worse mileage in the new car, but it will still be much better than the Sienna.

... Besides, think of the aerodynamic impact on the TCH, you'll ruin the database's MPG ave. ...
I know that was a joke and I appreciate it, because I live for jokes , but it does raise an issue which is a bit of a gripe for me in general -- not regarding this comment specifically, but regarding our general tendency to want to maximize our car's MPG.

Sometimes we can get so focused on the 'game' of maximizing our own personal MPG, that we lose sight of the overall goal. In the past, this would cause me to be tempted to use our non-hybrid car when running very short, but necessary, errands, in order to maintain my maximum MPG in my HCH. Which was good in terms of my own personal MPG, but bad in terms of the goal of using less gasoline overall.

Personally I think you should make the car as useful as you wish, for your needs... bike racks, ski racks, hauling kayaks, etc. IMO, it's better to have the two sedans with functionality enhancements (racks etc.) than to always pay the price for a bigger car.

Anyway that's just my opinion. I think you should put the racks on the car if that's what your lifestyle dictates.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:30 AM

I agree Coyote. My issue with the bike rack is not wanting to scratch the finish on the car.

There was a simlar comment in the FE forum about remembering that the idea is to use less fuel rather than having the highest FE. It's better to drive 10 miles at 36 mpg than to take a different route that gets your FE to 38 mpg but increases your distance to 12 miles.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:11 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by coyote
Sometimes we can get so focused on the 'game' of maximizing our own personal MPG, that we lose sight of the overall goal.
You have to factor in the whole new car mentality too. People making excuses to go driving because they want to be in their new car, fuel used for pure enjoyment purposes. I'm about to leave my TCH home and burn 30% more fuel to save it from getting branch scuffs in the clear coat. But the car is absolutely 100% pristine right now. You have to live in this moment of glory because is really doesn't last that long. I treated the Sienna the same way, but after the first winter it's been sand and rock blasted enough that it doesn't matter. Same will be true of the TCH. Orcrone might not think twice about throwing up a roof rack if the car was a year old.

Many of the current MPG obsessed TCH fans will settle into a more relaxed attitude about driving their TCH. Will that result in more fuel being used or less? Hmmm...

PS I was joking, dammit, I forgot the happy face.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:40 PM

Orcrone might not think twice about throwing up a roof rack if the car was a year old.
As I was taking my bike off the rack on the Explorer I was thinking "6 months from now I'll just throw this rack on the TCH.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:37 PM
it's just a car...

It's not a TCH, but this '07 Camry reminded me of this topic:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...0/5/4/rack.jpg

Please forgive the poor image quality -- both camera and subject were moving.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:08 AM

Figured I'd bump this thread to see if anyone found a bicyle rack for the TCH. I'll even take one that attaches to the rear. I looked on the Sari website, but they don't list any for the 2007 Camry yet.

Quick Reply: Bicycle Rack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands