Bike Rack for TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bike Rack for TCH?

I've just started looking for a bike rack (2 bikes) for my 2011 Camry Hybrid. I've read the owner's manual and checked out the posts on this forum that make it clear hitch mounts aren't recommended and could cause warranty problems.

So I'd be interested in knowing if there's anyone who has a trunk or roof mounted bike rack they've used and would recommend?

Thanks, and planet points for your choice of vehicle.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bike Rack for TCH?

I installed the new Yakima Q-Towers on my 2009 TCH. The quality is good and the fit is perfect. Just get the right clips which are sold separately. These clips are usually out-of-stock. I bought the towers and the bars from REI and the clips from Amazon. As for the bar, i bought the 48". I know it would be really tight but it makes for a cleaner look and no extended bar to worry about getting in the way. I eventually replaced them with a couple 50" pipe I bought from Lowe's so I could color-match the bars with the car's color. Also, I opted for the Rocky Mountain Bike mounts since they come in various color unlike the boring Yakima Boa. Also, the Rocky Mountain have very good reviews. The white Rocky Mountain bike mounts matches the Toyota Super White quite well.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting.

The Q-Tower looks nice. Is there any added wind noise with these units?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetttstream
Interesting.

The Q-Tower looks nice. Is there any added wind noise with these units?
Yes, you could tell when they're installed. There's noise but not that bad. I think it's just that TCH's are really quite. And of course, noise = wind drag = lower FE. I haven't made any comparison but I'm sure it will be very small. I just remove them when I don't have to transport my bike. They're very easy to remove and re-install.

By the way, I use this setup to haul wood and stuff from Home Depot. They're very useful.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oh interesting. I'd hate taking them on and off, but it sounds like they are easy to do so based on what you've said.

I'm curious of the total investment....

Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast

Taking on and off these racks takes less than 5 minutes. The initial setup will take about 20 minutes but once the measurements are made and bolts are tightened, you do not have to do those everytime you install these on the roof. All you do is lock the clips and that's it. The TCH has some recessed section on the door sills and you will think that Toyota actually made "provisions" for these.
Total $ for the clips, crossbar, bike mount and lock is about $550.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast

hi !

two years ago, i bought an Yakima big joe for trunk.
it was for use when arrived in vacation but this summer i did use it for the trip, everything was fine..
1 adult bike , one kid normal and one with the training wheels.

before , i used to put a piece of plywood on the roof rack and put the adult bike on the side + bike trailer ( removed the wheel ) + stroller.

there is no easy solution..

Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Guys,

I'm a new member and just happened to stumble into this thread. I'm an avid cyclist and I had the same question, since I traded my truck for this car. I like Yakima products and have also researched other applications for the Camry; however, I was really concerned about wind noise and getting lower mpgs. After all I did get the car for better gas mileage. After a few days of research, I came across a company call SeaSucker, they make a couple of different applications that just about fit any configuration you can think of. Long story short, I ordered their "mini-bomber rack" and should hopefully receive it this week. I realize the original post is a few month's old, but maybe this might help any future owners. The final selling point for me, was the ease of installation and removal.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sweet I look forward to your review!

-Mike

Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

I too would be interested with your experience and review. Very neat idea from the manufacturer. I think the sunroof in my Camry would provide better surface for the suction cups. I would replace my Thule if this works.

Quick Reply: Bike Rack for TCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands