Bike Rack for TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bike Rack for TCH?

Cool. I'll post some first impressions of the product as soon as I get it in and use it once or twice.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bike Rack for TCH?

Having started this thread, I wanted to say thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions, and let you know what I ended up doing.

I have a Yakima trunk mounted rack that I'd been using before buying the TCH. It worked well on my old Camry, but the anchor for the side straps was too big for the seam between the trunk lid and side body of the Hybrid. The rubber locking straps were also starting to crack from use and age.

Not having found anything else, and with a bike trip coming up, I decided to try using the rack with just the top and bottom straps and anchors (the side straps always seemed to loosen up when traveling anyway, no matter how hard I tried tying them down). I found new locking straps for the Yakima at eTrailer.com, put them on and off we went. Turned out to be fine. No problems. In fact, it was a quieter ride since the side straps had a tendency to flap at highway speeds. Have used it several other times since then.

That said, I'm as intrigued with the SeaSucker vacuum mount racks Donfilmore25 found as some of you. If they're as strong and easy to mount/dismount as they appear to be I'd make the switch.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Bike Rack for TCH?

Hey guys, finally got the rack and tested it. So here it goes.....

The rack quality is really nice and it is an absolute breeze to install and uninstall. I put both my mountain and road bikes on it and drove nearly 20 miles at varying speeds and conditions (turns, bumps, etc.) to test the rack's reliability and ability to hold the bikes. I had no issues at all and the rack performed it's intended design with no hiccups.

Overall the system works well and it certainly is an innovative solution for carrying bikes; however, there are some things that I see to be a little bit of a drawback:

1. Cost - I get a nice discount from my bike shop because I race for their team so this wasn't much of an issue for me, but at $360 retail, it's a lot of money.

2. Wind noise - When installed on the roof, at speeds of 40 mph and above the rack makes some annoying wind noise. Not a huge problem given how easy it is to take the rack off, but nevertheless it's still annoying.

3. Security - This rack has no real good way to be secured. The website has an accessory that can be installed in the car's window track and you can run a lock and chain thru the loop and the rack, but that just doesn't seem to be that great.

I hope this gives you guys some idea of the rack and may be help you in your decision for which bike racks to get. If there are any questions that I didn't answer, let me know and I'll give it my best shot.