Brake and tread wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Brake and tread wear

I had the car to the dealer for an oil change/rotation.
The inspection indicated that the brakes were 7mm (front) and 6mm (rear). The car is 18 months old with ~20,000 miles.
I really don't know what the levels should be at this age, but guess these are good numbers, right?
In addition, the tire tread was listed at 10/32s.

Last edited by haroldo; 07-06-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Brake and tread wear

Tread wear sounds very good. The telling feature is what is was when new. That is dependent on the tire. My tires are Michelin and new was 10/32. Some other manufacturers start off higher. In any case, not much tread wear which is good for 20,000 miles.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Default Re: Brake and tread wear

The rear brakes wear faster on the TCH and Prius due to front wheels driving the HSD system to recharge the battery as you brake.

New brake pads are 12mm front, 11mm rear on the TCH. Your brake pad numbers are fair, but keep an eye on the rear brake wear. I would consider replacing them around 2mm or 3mm

My TCH just had it's 60,000 mile service. The fronts measured 9mm and the rears 8mm.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM

The new pad thickness that other responders have supplied really explains it. You can extrapolate from that how long your pads are going to last, given their current thickness.

That suggestion of 2~3mm is likely good, you can verify with service department, they will know. You do not want to leave it too long. A thinning pad is much more prone to start breaking up, and I suspect it is not dissipating heat as well.

I'm not clear exactly what your car is (non-NAV??), but for a hybrid with regen-braking that's pretty fast wear.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
...I'm not clear exactly what your car is (non-NAV??),...
referring to the display, my car doesn't have the navigation system

...but for a hybrid with regen-braking that's pretty fast wear.
Can't answer that one, but if there's something or someone stationary in front of me, I usually like to stop, so I guess I've been doing a lot of stopping?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Your car is a non-Nav what?

If I venture that your brake pad wear is kind of fast considering the mileage, and your response is sarcasm, I'm outa here.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM

Your car is a non-Nav what?...
Originally Posted by haroldo
referring to the display, my car doesn't have the directional navigation system (and related power monitoring screens)...
Not sure if it matters, but I had my brakes redone based upon the TSB (due to squeaking), so it's possible that they replaced them with a faster wearing pad? Don't know, not a brake expert...and trying like heck to refrain from sarcasm (it aint easy for me!)

Last edited by haroldo; 07-07-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Called the dealer and asked if this was typical brake wear, or not.
He said the hybrid and gas cars should have roughly the same brake wear. He said the pads typically last 24-29K for the front and 29-39K for the rear. I always thought they hybrids were a lot better on the brakes, due to the regeneration system (even though the car is heavier than the gas version).
My wear, 7mm front and 6mm, rear would have me easily within his expected range, if not on the higher side. I believe he said the pads are 9 3/4 mm front and 8 1/4 rear when they are new.
I assume he knows what he's talking about, since I, clearly, don't.
Make sense?

Last edited by haroldo; 07-08-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Brake and tread wear

Originally Posted by haroldo
Called the dealer and asked if this was typical brake wear, or not.
He said the hybrid and gas cars should have roughly the same brake wear. He said the pads typically last 24-29K for the front and 29-39K for the rear. I always thought they hybrids were a lot better on the brakes, due to the regeneration system (even though the car is heavier than the gas version).
My wear, 7mm front and 6mm, rear would have me easily within his expected range, if not on the higher side. I believe he said the pads are 9 3/4 mm front and 8 1/4 rear when they are new.
I assume he knows what he's talking about, since I, clearly, don't.
Make sense?
He is full of crap!! I have a friend who is very difficult on brakes. All his previous cars, he got about 20,000 miles on a set of pads. His Prius, he got 85,000 on his rears and he has not replaced the fronts and has driven over 100,000 miles.

I have 35,000 on my TCH, and the brakes are almost like new. If you check out some other threads and other sites you will see that the TCH brakes will last considerably longer than the normal camry. It only makes sense because you capture a lot of energy with the generator when you brake which does not require the normal brakes.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Yes, your dealer is full of crap. I drive stop and go traffic most of the time and typical life of my break pads on normal car is 20-30K. At around 60k I went for electric steering fix and my dealer lied to me I need new breaks. I took the car apart myself not trusting the dealer and my front was something like 8mm and rear 6 or 7 don't remember exactly but plenty of life left. However you do want to watch those pads since very often they will wear more on inside pad (the one hard to see) than outside, also they may wear more on the bottom than top, so depending how you look you may see 2-3 mm on one side and riding metal to metal on the other (I had that on my older Honda Accord). So your break pads are worn little more than they should, me think. By now I'm close to 70k and I think I would need to change my original Michelins before winter for sure, but I just had my car inspected couple days ago and passed so my breaks and tires are within specs still. You should check if your breaks are not grabbing (for example warped disc?) as not only pads will wear faster but also your MPG will suffer.

Quick Reply: Brake and tread wear

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands