brakes shudder occasionally upon stopping.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default brakes shudder occasionally upon stopping.

only happens occasionally but its usually during a mild stop and its right at the end. Almost feels like anti-lock but i don't think it is. Is there are possibility its the hand off to the friction brakes? not sure but wanted to see if anyone had this issue.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: brakes shudder occasionally upon stopping.

many would suggest that is the correct, but a trip to the dealer could verify that it isn't something else (worse)

when it comes to brakes (as in, the thing that prevents you from getting into an accident) it might be best to get an answer from a service tech, rather than a forum (IMHO)

Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

yeah I'm headed there on Monday but its strange because its only about once ever 20 or 30 stops, sometimes it doesn't happen for days.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by test54
yeah I'm headed there on Monday but its strange because its only about once ever 20 or 30 stops, sometimes it doesn't happen for days.

Yeah, and unfortunately, that usually results in the dealer saying " unable to duplicate cutomer's complaint"

Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM

This sounds like something has been discussed in the past were the conclusion was moisture on the pads. This would generally happen during the first few braking cycles as the moisture burns off. But, it could happen during the middle or end of a drive if the brakes got wet.

This happens to be sometimes, probably once every other day or so and I've not had a problem. The brakes still have plenty of pad left.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by test54
only happens occasionally but its usually during a mild stop and its right at the end. Almost feels like anti-lock but i don't think it is. Is there are possibility its the hand off to the friction brakes? not sure but wanted to see if anyone had this issue.
My '07 TCH did that before it was broke in. I could feel the engine shut off during braking around 30 mph.

Yes, I could feel the switch from the re-gen braking to the physical disk brakes at around 5 to 8 mph. Like yours, mine happened occasionally. It went away after about 8000 miles.

Last edited by rburt07; 02-28-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:15 AM
Pragmatist

I used to notice that with mine, also. It usually happens on the first stop in the AM, when there was dew during the night.

I don't know if my car still does that, though ... either it stopped happening, or I just got used to it.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Do you hear any noises too? My brakes would occasionally make a noise when I had a quick stop (not quick/hard enough for the ABS to kick in) or when I was already stopped and pressed a little more on the brake pedal. The noise would seem to correspond with a lack of braking power. The noise sounded like a duck quack and a squeak.
Had the issue for over a year, it would never do it for the dealer. Finally, one day the dealer heard it. He said he had one other TCH that did the same thing. In both cases, he replaced the ABS Actuator - a $1700 job. Thankfully covered under warranty.
Been over a month, no more noises.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I noticed long ago that the feel of my brakes changes when I've slowed almost to a stop. The pedal feel seemed "lumpy," or "uneven," but I came to think of it as a normal part of the brake system, and I quit noticing it - at least 'til I saw this thread. I've come to like the way I can modulate the braking at the very lowest speeds - seems to me it's part of the design.

At any rate, TCH brakes are powerful and have great control.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think its the moisture, good call guys. Its usually in the morning or after a period of not driving it for awhile. I had it in for oil & rotation last Friday and of course nothing wrong with brakes and plenty of pad left. They gave me no explanation and could not duplicate as jbolt said. Its not the ICE shutdown, I know that and this was not that.

Another thing that leads me to that answer is that it only happens once during a drive, after that its fine.