Buyer's Remorse: Navigation System/4CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Buyer's Remorse: Navigation System/4CD Changer

I'm not a fan of luxury, so I wanted the lowest version of Camry Hybrid: cloth seats, no moon roof, etc. However, I used a portable navigation unit in my 2000 Camry, and wanted the built-in navigation unit. As you all know, navigation is locked together with leather, heated seats, and moon roof, so I reluctantly ponied up the ~3000 extra bucks just to get the navigation (and leather, moon roof, and heated seats).

I am starting to regret the decision.

The navigation unit is about 50% as capable as my $150 MIO portable navigation unit.

1) It won't provide voice guidance on all the streets in it's database. I can see the streets, the streets are named, but the pretty lady announces "Due to lack of data in this area, turn-by-turn guidance is not available" What??? My cheapo portable unit will route me by voice to my front door (and get the house number right!). My $1200 built-in unit will route me to the freeway about 2 miles away from my door and give up. There are 3 routable roads (light blue in color) in my entire town of 25,000.

2) It can't even search it's entire database at once. It forces you to pick which area of the country you can use. I would hate to live on a boundary of two of the areas.

3) Its data is out of date and incomplete. Even though it uses 7 GB of data on the DVD, it's POI database seems to be vintage 2001 or so. This is the 6.1 version of the DVD. Again, my $150 unit has much more up to date information, all in 1GB of memory!

4) You can't use some functions while in motion. While I would not use the portable one while driving, many times my wife would take it and search for the nearest fast food, or gas station, or an address we're heading to. With this unit, you have to stop before you can do that. (I know there's a hack for this, and I'm working on implementing it)

These above limitation have given the Navigation unit a very low WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor!) "What? Can't find either of the two Hobby Lobby stores within 30 miles of each other?"

The CD player has limitations:
1- I can't find a way to randomly play across folders. This means I'm going to have to re-burn all my MP3 CD's to be all in the same folder. Also, next time I power on, the setting is lost.
2- When random is selected, pushing up or down does not go to the next random pick, but merely to the next physical file.
3- I can't find a way to fast forward in a track. Up will go to the next song, holding up will change to the next CD!
4- The 6 CD changer on cars without navigation is replaced with a 4 cd changer. Not a huge deal. admittedly.

I do like the energy consumption and power distribution screens, and I like the file name display.

Now maybe a lot of these problems are due to operator error, or a new driver unfamiliar with the features, or a setting that needs to be changed. If so, please correct me, and maybe I'll fall in love with the nav all over again.

I know it's my fault for not checking more carefully and making sure the navigation unit met my requirements before purchasing, but I got caught up in the hype of wanting the hybrid. I did try one out, but did not encounter the lack of guidance on non-major roads in my test drive.

I don't want Toyota to give me a refund. I don't want to return the car and get one without Nav. I just wanted to share my experiences with the group, and let you know that if you're expecting Garmin or Tom-Tom, do a detailed check-out before you decide.

Snedecor

Last edited by snedecor; 07-03-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buyer's Remorse: Navigation System/4CD Changer

Originally Posted by snedecor
1) It won't provide voice guidance on all the streets in it's database. I can see the streets, the streets are named, but the pretty lady announces "Due to lack of data in this area, turn-by-turn guidance is not available"
I have the same complaint.
Originally Posted by snedecor
The CD player has limitations:
1- I can't find a way to randomly play across folders. This means I'm going to have to re-burn all my MP3 CD's to be all in the same folder.
Have you tried pressing and holding the Random button for one second? I seem to remember reading about that.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

I, too have issues with the NAV system. I returned from West Virginia to Indiana a week ago, and selected the shortest route. The route was pretty similar to my Oncourse Navigator on my Dell Axim. But when I returned yesterday, I tried to get the same route (it seemed to be faster than the OCN route) but each time I tried to reselect it, it was different. And I was on the same road each time. I could not duplicate the route.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could reprogram the NAV system with say . . . OCN, or Tom-Tom . . . and keep all the other features of the unit?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I agree that there are some features that are lacking but I have grown to really like the Nav system. I just finished a 3000 mile road trip and had no issues at all.
It directed me where ever I wanted to go (and even some Mex resuraunts I decided to pass by).
The screen size is much better than the TomTom 910 I used to use.
The dual display option is cool on the interstate. It will show you the exits coming up and what POI you can find at them.

You don't need to select what part of the US you are in for normal operation, it knows. The selection of area is to limit the search area for addresses or POIs. (kind of a pain tho)

Best of all, I don't have to worry about a tangle of cords or theft of my portable device

Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Hindsight is always 20/20 but you CAN order a custom configured Camry (conventional or hybrid) but you'll wait longer for it. Some dealers may not want to do it but it can be done and posters on this forum have done it. So it definitely is possible to get an otherwise modest Camry with NAV and not much else. I've heard the term "BTO" (Build to Order) thrown around. My dealer refers to the custom builds as "out of box" orders.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

I have tried to get directions to some resturants that have ended up being in the middle of a residential neighborhood. I did not think the resturant was in the house it directed me too, so I just kept on going.

There is some really bad data in it for some items.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Hindsight is always 20/20 but you CAN order a custom configured Camry (conventional or hybrid) but you'll wait longer for it. Some dealers may not want to do it but it can be done and posters on this forum have done it. So it definitely is possible to get an otherwise modest Camry with NAV and not much else. I've heard the term "BTO" (Build to Order) thrown around. My dealer refers to the custom builds as "out of box" orders.
Perhaps my dealer was lying to me when they told me that 1) it would take 2 months, and 2) by that time the '08's would be out, and the price would change.

Ended up waiting almost a month anyway, but I did get it with ZERO PIO's, not even floor mats (which I got over the internet).

Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I like the Nav system. I haven't bothered to reconfigure the DVD to allow inputting while in motion. What I really like about the DVD Nav is the "Points of Interest" button. For example, I was in Oakland the other day and, while parked, I put in "Points of Interest." Then I put "Pacific Coast Brewing Company" and it took me right there.

Unfortunately the beer wasn't that good...

Benny

Old 07-04-2007, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

You can fast forward within a song. You have to use the buttons on the radio itself, NOT the steering wheel. I use it all the time for my audiobooks.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

I think I tend to agree with the fact that the Nav is generally a pretty lousy system. I have only had good data from it three times when using it dozens of times. On the way to New Hampshire it tried to put me on the road to Vermont. On the way to Florida, just outside of DC it told me to turn directly east, I looked it up later and it would have made no sense. Coming back thru DC to RI it tried to send me downtown instead of staying on the beltway. This doesn't even mention all the streets it does not have any info on. It is quite surprising that Toyota is peddling such a piece of junk. Needless to say I don't trust it at all. I would never purchase it again if I had any Idea it was this bad.
Otherwise I must say I love the car, getting between 44 and 45 MPG consistantly since coming back to RI.

Last edited by Bobfl; 07-04-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse: Navigation System/4CD Changer

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands