A/C Blowing Hot Air!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default A/C Blowing Hot Air!

Has anyone else had a similar issue with their air conditioner set in lower temperatures, but still blowing hot air? My a/c seems to be going out of control lately. I tried to speak to the dealership over the phone, but they told me that they could not give out any information on my car over the phone, so I turned here. I have checked the freon in the system and it is charged to ~35 PSI, so I am not low on refrigerant. The system will sometimes blow cold air flawlessly, then all of a sudden it will turn to blowing hot air and the recirc light will flick on and off at the same time. I have no clue what this could be...any thoughts or help would be appreciated. By the way, just outside of initial warranty on my 2007 TCH with 40k miles.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A/C Blowing Hot Air!

I connot speak for a TCH, but my Explorer did that and it was because the ECU decided the vehicle didn't have enough power to tow into a strong headwind and provide A/C. I wonder if the TCH might be getting a signal that there is not enough electrical power to power mandatory systems AND the A/C so it cuts out the A/C? (since all this is just guesses, I'll add... check the alternator and any other related electrical systems)

Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

It might help if you list what the buttons are set to (AUTO, A/C, ECO, etc) and under what conditions the problem starts. I tried the AUTO feature but was not impressed and went to the manual mode.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The Recirculate light blinking on and off may be giving you a code. If I were you I would call the Toyota Customer Service in California. Their is just a possibility they may set you up with a local toyota dealer to get this repaired for free.

If you set the temp **** to to full cold then two or three bars of fan. Does the air feel really cold at the outlets. I use a meat probe thermometer to occasionally check the cars outlet temp.
Searching google I found where a speed sensor on a compressor can also cause this similar problem.

I also found something here in Edmunds townhall-talk. I see your same problem listed and possible remedy here.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f160c98

Last edited by rburt07; 07-26-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

rburt07 thanks for the prod in the right direction. I have been pouring over these other discussions and the light on my air conditioner flashing and blowing hot air seems to have the same symptoms of a bad relay in the fuse box under the hood. I am going to replace the relay (part no. 90987-02028) and see if this does the trick. Thanks again and I will update with the outcome.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

To follow up with the solution to my issue and for anyone else's benefit the problem was an over pressurization in my a/c system. It stemmed from a stuck switch in the high pressure release valve. Once the release valve was moved around whiel troubleshooting, it began to release freon from the high pressure port and the system resumed normal pressurization. System good and nice and cool air now.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast

I bought a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid last August. It has blown out hot air after I come to a stop and then accelerate. The dealership told me this is normal. I live in Arizona and told him I cannot handle it. They have tried to fix it, but it does not work, wondering if I can do the lemon law on this.........

Old 07-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mclainjk
I bought a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid last August. It has blown out hot air after I come to a stop and then accelerate. The dealership told me this is normal. I live in Arizona and told him I cannot handle it. They have tried to fix it, but it does not work, wondering if I can do the lemon law on this.........
Your compressor on your Honda Civic Hybrid should be battery powered. This could be the high voltage dropping when the car it's stopped and the compressor quits working. Your traction battery should have a 8 year warranty.

To answer your question about blowing hot air when you stop. Type or copy this below to google. "honda dealers" arizona. You can call other Honda dealers to find out. If Honda does any work on your car, ask for a Certified Honda Technician to do the job.

I found this below which is very different than the single electric compressor that toyota uses.

The Civic has a dual air conditioning system with two compressors, one driven by the engine and one electrically driven. The 75cc engine driven unit handles the bulk of the load, but the 15cc electric compressor kicks in when the vehicle comes to a stop or the load is high. If the battery has enough charge it will continue chilling the interior air when the engine is off. When the temperatures climb, the engine still shuts down at a red light if the A/C is on, but it often restarts before the light turns green. With the A/C off, the engine stays off until the brake is released.

A similar problem here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...roblems-21620/

Last edited by rburt07; 07-11-2009 at 03:46 AM.