camry hybrid or coventional camry? which lasts longer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default camry hybrid or coventional camry? which lasts longer?

Mine is 07 camry hybrid and only 25700 miles , so far no problem!

Been doing the oil changes and recently got new tires and did the wheel alignment. Although it says it gives 40MPG, I rarely get 40mpg and it is mostly around 25 mpg. I only drive about 3 miles a day.

I don't know if I should have bought this instead of regular/conventional camry like the LE or the XLE.

I hear from others that when the car ages, the cost of maintenance is much higher on hybrid cars than on conventional and even the cost of battery is about $5k? Should I sell my 07 TCH and buy a new LE or XLE camry or?

I read that camries last very long with proper maintenance but what about the Hybrid camry?

What other expensive maintenance should I expect in coming years on my TCH?

Other than the gas savings, which one lasts longer? camry hybrid or conventional camry?

thanks

Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: camry hybrid or coventional camry? which lasts longer?

you have no gas savings. trade her for Civic, and one made in 95, with V-Tec engine. bulletproof and 45 mpg.
right now you have expensive can full of electronics and giving you no benefit.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
you have no gas savings. trade her for Civic, and one made in 95, with V-Tec engine. bulletproof and 45 mpg.
real advice?

are you happy with your TCH?

I'd rather sell it for brand new 2012 camry xle or le, not 1995 civic

Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 PM

real. we had those Civics, amazing cars.
I am very content with mine. my real life mpg is, actually, 39.6, Fuelly is catching up with it.
it's your call. I'd rather have Civic, except that I am 6'5'' and do not quite fit, I tried.
Even Prius should be better. What do you need such large car for?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

real. we had those Civics, amazing cars.
I am very content with mine. my real life mpg is, actually, 39.6, Fuelly is catching up with it.
it's your call. I'd rather have Civic, except that I am 6'5'' and do not quite fit, I tried.
Even Prius should be better. What do you need such large car for?
are you saying you always get 39.6 mpg on every drive or sometimes it is less than that?
I too get 40 MPG sometimes but most of the time it is in mid twenties.

I like the size of the camry. perfect fit and comfort. My sister has HYUNDAI ELANTRA (2010) good car but don't fit too comfortable on the seat!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 AM

runningmpg.png

I have no idea why you pay premium for hybrid with 25 mpg. that car is sort of tricky. it's efficient if you hypermile and drive alone. but then you don't really need such a large vehicle and there are better more moderately sized options. say, my son gets 36 mpg out of his 08 Mazdaspeed with turbo engine.
if you really need all the room and size, as in family hauler - then you will not have excellent mpg anyway. Ford Police Interceptor gets 25mpg and is hell of large and rugged vehicle, e.g.
basically, you paying for your understanding of what comfort should be. I bought mine because I drive a lot, and am reimbursed for mileage at work, so gas costs me nothing. otherwise, I'd have been in a Prius (surprise, I do fit) or one of them Civics. MOF, I had 25-27 mpg average in my 04 CR-V.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Originally Posted by jimmy1

Been doing the oil changes and recently got new tires and did the wheel alignment. Although it says it gives 40MPG, I rarely get 40mpg and it is mostly around 25 mpg. I only drive about 3 miles a day.
That gas mileage sucks. Multiple reasons:
  1. Something is possibly wrong with your car.
  2. With only 3 mi/day (1 1/2 each way?), your car never warms up and it, like all cars gets much worse gas mileage than if you took longer trips. Note that a car rated at 50mpg like my Prius (I also have a TCH) will get nowhere near that good for that short a trip as the engine always runs until the car is warmed up. The battery gets little chance to help.
  3. You may also be the cause of the bad gas mileage. Jackrabbit starts e.g., especially when cold, waste lots of gas.
I'd guess #2 is the primary culprit but the other may be contributing factors. Remember, those ratings are based on a warmed up engine and are tested under ideal conditions. Don't know if it is still true but the tests used to be just the engine w/o the car and the effect of the car was "estimated".

Other than the gas savings, which one lasts longer? camry hybrid or conventional camry?

The TCH got better ratings for quality than the regular Camry by Consumer Reports.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:08 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

At 3mi/day, no car except a Volt or Leaf will do very well.

Last edited by jpezz; 09-09-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Changed "that" to "very" to make it clearer.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know if I should have bought this instead of regular/conventional camry like the LE or the XLE.

I hear from others that when the car ages, the cost of maintenance is much higher on hybrid cars than on conventional and even the cost of battery is about $5k? Should I sell my 07 TCH and buy a new LE or XLE camry or?

I read that camries last very long with proper maintenance but what about the Hybrid camry?

What other expensive maintenance should I expect in coming years on my TCH?

At 3 miles per day, the 07 TCH is likely to last longer than you will. Don't sell it, out of concern for maintenance. The short trips is what is killing your gas mileage. However, it will be worse still with a conventional car. Don't sell it.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron AKA
At 3 miles per day, the 07 TCH is likely to last longer than you will. Don't sell it, out of concern for maintenance. The short trips is what is killing your gas mileage. However, it will be worse still with a conventional car. Don't sell it.
thanks for your advice,

I googled and found this article

CAMRY HYBRID VS CAMRY LE
http://carfamily.wordpress.com/2007/...-hybrid-camry/

Quick Reply: camry hybrid or coventional camry? which lasts longer?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands