Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Can I make my Cell Phone battery last forever? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/can-i-make-my-cell-phone-battery-last-forever-15867/)

schmidtj 11-07-2007 05:27 AM

Can I make my Cell Phone battery last forever?

If I apply the same techniques to charging and discharging my cell phone battery as the TCH does to the traction battery can I make my cell phone battery last (nearly) forever?
Namely run the battery between 25% and 75% charge levels?
I know the TCH is NiMh and the cell is LiIon but are there similarities in charging/discharging technique?
J

jay_man2 11-07-2007 05:32 AM

Re: Can I make my Cell Phone battery last forever?

You get the best performance from a lithium ion battery by frequently topping it off, and never completely discharging it. I've had cell phone batteries work fine for 2+ years before I replaced the phones.

schmidtj 11-07-2007 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by jay_man2 (Post 148841)
You get the best performance from a lithium ion battery by frequently topping it off, and never completely discharging it. I've had cell phone batteries work fine for 2+ years before I replaced the phones.

2+ years is nothing to write home about. I looking for something twice that. Especially when I plunk down $200+ for a decent smartphone I want it hanging around a while.

jay_man2 11-07-2007 06:16 AM

Whatever.

GeekGal 11-07-2007 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by schmidtj (Post 148843)
2+ years is nothing to write home about. I looking for something twice that. Especially when I plunk down $200+ for a decent smartphone I want it hanging around a while.

Just get one that actually has a user-replaceable battery. ;)

(iPod touch owner, here, but Blackberry Curve for my phone.)

Tideland Prius 11-07-2007 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jay_man2 (Post 148845)
Whatever.

It's true. I've fully charged and discharged my battery (although most of the time I charge before it gets into the red) and it lasts 2 and 3/4 years. It still works but I have to charge every 2 days. I got a new battery and now I charge once a week. (all times quoted with bluetooth disabled).

So yeah.. having one that lasts 4 years is something to talk about.

Pete4 11-07-2007 10:19 AM

The whole idea is not to discharge battery too much and keep it at high charge level as much as possible, which in reality means charging it every night. Doing so could probably extend it's life past 4 years. I have Sony video camera Li batteries that lasted at least 5 years but they weren't used too frequently and at some point failed to the point they won't take charge no more. I speculated that battery self discharged over period of almost one year of no usage bellow minimum voltage and now the charger won't allow it to be recharged.

schmidtj 11-07-2007 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4 (Post 148876)
The whole idea is not to discharge battery too much and keep it at high charge level as much as possible, which in reality means charging it every night. Doing so could probably extend it's life past 4 years. I have Sony video camera Li batteries that lasted at least 5 years but they weren't used too frequently and at some point failed to the point they won't take charge no more. I speculated that battery self discharged over period of almost one year of no usage bellow minimum voltage and now the charger won't allow it to be recharged.

In my original post I wanted to compare the TCH's desire to not fully charge or discharge the traction battery. So what you are saying is the same phylosophy(sp?) should not be applied to Lithium Ion batteries?

Pepsi 11-07-2007 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by schmidtj (Post 148896)
In my original post I wanted to compare the TCH's desire to not fully charge or discharge the traction battery. So what you are saying is the same phylosophy(sp?) should not be applied to Lithium Ion batteries?

That is correct. Does not apply to Li-Ion batteries.

n8kwx 11-07-2007 03:40 PM

I'm not an expert on LiIon, but I'd venture a good guess that Toyota might match cells in the NiMH battery pack. Mismatched cells cause a lot of battery pack failures in NiMH. Builders of satellites do this too. They need their packs to last a LONG time.

But I doubt that any cell phone maker would go to that much effort for a "consumer product". It would increase costs too much.

So I believe that there is a basic "quality" issue as well as good charge management that makes Toyota's pack very reliable.