Can I make my Cell Phone battery last forever?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I make my Cell Phone battery last forever?

Most cellphone batteries consist of 1, 2 or maybe at most 3 cells, not much of matching is required here. I also don't think Toyota does anything above maybe some basic sorting. As far as I remember reading it, they had to increase quality of the cells with tighter tolerances across production line with more consistent level of reliability. Just one broken cell can disable whole module and one non working module would fail the whole battery pack. the differences in capacity between cells is taken care of by running the pack within 50%-80% full charge. This means that even if the packs are not well matched, at full load some cells could be actually reaching 95% some only 65% but still within operating range, where no damaging overcharging and out gassing should occur. The same goes for low end of charge: at 50% some cells could be at 30% some at 55% but no cell should go bellow minimum voltage and be damaged by reverse polarity charge.
Typical satellite cost about 50-100 million dollars, cost another 20-50 million to launch, has to operate at temperatures close to absolute zero for 5-10 years, be exposed to heavy radiation and usually is one of a kind with no chance of being repaired. Hardly a comparison to mass produced $30k car.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
Typical satellite cost about 50-100 million dollars, cost another 20-50 million to launch, has to operate at temperatures close to absolute zero for 5-10 years, be exposed to heavy radiation and usually is one of a kind with no chance of being repaired. Hardly a comparison to mass produced $30k car.
IMHO, cost isn't the relevant immediate comparison. I think it goes beyond the "If they can put a man on the moon they...." As someone who watched our space program with wonder and awe from inception to yesterday's shuttle, landing...I can't even begin to catalog the now affordable wonders we all enjoy everyday that had their origins in technology developed for for the space program. The laptop I write on now or Tang for example.

Last edited by wdmark; 11-08-2007 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Clean Up
Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cellphones have LiIon batterries, TCH have NiMH. How could you compare?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crasher
Cellphones have LiIon batterries, TCH have NiMH. How could you compare?
perhaps he's wondering if the same can be applied to Li-Ion and I think Pete said it doesn't apply?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
perhaps he's wondering if the same can be applied to Li-Ion and I think Pete said it doesn't apply?
And I said the same thing in the and my first reply, in the Reader's Digest condensed version. You extend the life of a Li-Ion battery by topping it off frequently.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

The jist of what I was saying is quality level.

Since most people don't want to pay $1.00 for a cell phone, manufactures aren't going to put in quality batteries.

They also realize that most people are going to lose, drop in the toilet, or buy a new cell phone in a couple years. Putting in a battery pack that will last 5 years isn't worth it.

On the other hand, most people want their TCH to last 10 years. And Toyota warranties most of them for 10 years. They are going to go the extra mile to put in a higher quality battery.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Can I make my Laptop battery last forever?

OK change in topic title.
Chan I make my laptop battery last forever?

It's a NMHi, same as the TCH, and I paid a LOT more than $1 for it and I do want it to last forever.
Rewind: Can keeping the battery charged approx in the 25% - 75% extend it's life?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I make my Laptop battery last forever?

Originally Posted by schmidtj
OK change in topic title.
Chan I make my laptop battery last forever?

It's a NMHi, same as the TCH, and I paid a LOT more than $1 for it and I do want it to last forever.
Rewind: Can keeping the battery charged approx in the 25% - 75% extend it's life?
Is this an old laptop? I thought almost all laptops for a LONG time were Lithium.

If it is NiMH, then yes keeping it from getting discharged all the way will help keep it alive longer. Deep discharging is the worst. Cells start getting "reversed" and this damages them.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Can I make my NMHi battery last (nearly) forever?

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Is this an old laptop? I thought almost all laptops for a LONG time were Lithium.

If it is NiMH, then yes keeping it from getting discharged all the way will help keep it alive longer. Deep discharging is the worst. Cells start getting "reversed" and this damages them.
OK it's really a digital camera or is it a digicam or maybe a radio controlled airplane or boat or whatever. Just an expensive device that uses expensive NiMh battery packs take your pick.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I make my NMHi battery last (nearly) forever?

Originally Posted by schmidtj
OK it's really a digital camera or is it a digicam or maybe a radio controlled airplane or boat or whatever. Just an expensive device that uses expensive NiMh battery packs take your pick.
I answered your question in my second paragraph. I wanted to make sure you had NiMH batteries - otherwise my answer doesn't do you much good.