Canadian Law re Seat Belt Warning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Canadian Law re Seat Belt Warning?

Hey Y'all, just wondering if any other Canadians have successfully gotten their dealership to disable the seat belt warning chime. I had a frustrating interaction with my guys today.

It started with a call from the sales manager last night doing the "are you happy with your vehicle/service" call, and I told him that I'd been told the chime can't be disabled when in fact it can. He said he'd have my salesman follow up.

This afternoon, the salesguy called and said that he checked with his techs and was told it can't be done. I told him I'd confirm the manual, and then called him back, gave him the page and section, and told him "recommendation duly noted, now I'd like it turned off."
He said ok, and had me call service to make an appointment.

Called service, they said (surprise surprise) that it can't be disabled, so I went through the same conversation with him, and then he went and (he claimed) talked to his manager, who told him that while it could technically be done, that they were not allowed to do it. "Not allowed by whom?" I asked, and told him that I would need to know exactly which law (statute & section or whatever) prohibited them from disabling it. He put me on hold for fifteen minutes, at which point I hung up and called my salesman back and told him that IF they can quote me a real law that is on the books, no problem, I would never try to make them do something illegal. But if they CAN'T point me to a real law, that this would be my last car purchase from their dealership (which includes this TCH and an 04 Corolla back in 2003 thus far).

Worst case scenario, I'll have to drive down to Grand Forks and get it done there - anyone know the name of a good dealership?

And you know, this wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that every weekday I'm driving around doing errands, and I'm in and out of the car constantly, coupled with the fact that it's not just when you shut the car off, but EVERY TIME YOU PUT THE CAR IN PARK. I also wouldn't have a problem if it didn't go off for as long and as obnoxiously as it does.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadian Law re Seat Belt Warning?

Hi

I live in Montreal and had mine turned off with no hassle.(had to pay..)

With my previous car, a Subaru, the dealer would not turn it off, I was fortunate enough to find the procedure on the Web. (the service manager even asked me to tell some of his unhappy customers how they could do it themselves...)

So, I think it is more a Dealership policy than a law...

good luck, and I can tell you that I am a very happy camper since they turned off that agressive chime !

Bob