In car computing...the future is here...and it's scary!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: In car computing...the future is here...and it's scary!

The recent simulation studies report that missed problem detection and improper lane keeping were demonstrated at a 50% rate while dialing/testing and a 7% rate while using Sync/MyTouch. Manual distraction versus cognative distraction 7:1.

Why change the radio dial, adjust temperature and fan speed, change media, etc.manually and increase the risk of missing a potential problem when you can do it 7 times more safely using voice commands.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[sarcasm]Are there any stats available when comparing the safety level when the cell phone is turned off?[/sarcasm]
I tell my kids to turn off the phone when they're driving. I don't know if they do, probably not, but I figure that if I repeat it enough, maybe they'll actually listen. Then again, maybe they'll clean their room.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:12 AM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by haroldo
I tell my kids to turn off the phone when they're driving. I don't know if they do, probably not, ...
I think the safety could be engineered into the cell phone system, without much difficulty at all. Cell systems have software to "hand off" a phone from one tower to the next. And most cellphone now have gps receivers built in, so the phones know where they are (and, whether or not they are moving). They could disable the phone whenever it is in motion at more than a specified rate of speed. Or, they could disable it (and cut any calls in progress) for a minute or two whenever it moves from one cell to another.

Suppose people started suing the cell phone company whenever there is an injury accident associated with cell phone usage. I expect it wouldn't take very many multi-million dollar awards to get the cell companies thinking about safety. After a few dozen, the NTSA or the FCC might step in and decide it for them, or a court might just issue an order.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red
The recent simulation studies report that missed problem detection and improper lane keeping were demonstrated at a 50% rate while dialing/testing and a 7% rate while using Sync/MyTouch. Manual distraction versus cognative distraction 7:1.

Why change the radio dial, adjust temperature and fan speed, change media, etc.manually and increase the risk of missing a potential problem when you can do it 7 times more safely using voice commands.
Are these stats based on a bunch of people put into a simulator with a dash layout that they have not seen before, or done as a drive along in the tester daily drivers?

Just about every car has a different setup where things are, and if you have to look to find the buttons then yes you will be more distracted, BUT after a week or two I can just reach down/over and press/twist whatever function I need, so how distracting is it then? Still 50%? I doubt it.

Personally, I hate the thought of talking to my car. I have had voice dialing on my last 3 phones and I use it, but only when I have to. Success rate to get the right name, ~75%.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
...They could disable the phone whenever it is in motion at more than a specified rate of speed. Or, they could disable it (and cut any calls in progress) for a minute or two whenever it moves from one cell to another.
...and people will simply press redial...leading to more distraction.
Originally Posted by SteveHansen
...Suppose people started suing the cell phone company whenever there is an injury accident associated with cell phone usage...
It's not the cell companies fault if people misuse the product.
Hey, if we allow this, maybe we can allow people to sue a radio station or the local baseball team if they lose a close game and the driver, who was listening to the game, got so upset that it caused the accident.

Individual responsiblity