CD mp3 file trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default CD mp3 file trouble

I have the nav unit with the 6 CD changer.

I tried to play 2 Cd's with mp3 files. I picked 2 CD's I had burned some time ago. Both had pretty much the same content. Files from both CD's play ok on my computer.

Each CD had a handful of folders. Each folder had roughly a dozen files.

With one CD, the unit would recognize only one of the folders. All of the files in that folder played ok, but the other folders were not visible.

The other CD would not play at all. None of the folders were recognized.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CD mp3 file trouble

Did you burn all the folders in one burning session? Some CD players have problems with multisession CDs.

Are the CDs 'finalized' (check the options of your burning program). Some CD players have problems with CDs that have not been finalized.

What filesystem did you use? Some CD players cannot handle the Joliet filename extensions. How long are your filenames?

At what speed did you burn the CDs. Try burning the CDs at a lower speed. (4x or 8x vs 52x)

Note: I have not tried playing an MP3 CD in my TCH and these are just general suggestions related to problems with playing CDs on systems that they were not burned on.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
I have the nav unit with the 6 CD changer.

I tried to play 2 Cd's with mp3 files. I picked 2 CD's I had burned some time ago. Both had pretty much the same content. Files from both CD's play ok on my computer.

Each CD had a handful of folders. Each folder had roughly a dozen files.

With one CD, the unit would recognize only one of the folders. All of the files in that folder played ok, but the other folders were not visible.

The other CD would not play at all. None of the folders were recognized.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Are you looking at this while the car is stopped? or moving? It is possible that unless you use the "override" for the NAV, you will not have full visible access to the folders on the display. Just a possibility.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by jbollt
Are you looking at this while the car is stopped? or moving? It is possible that unless you use the "override" for the NAV, you will not have full visible access to the folders on the display. Just a possibility.

Thanks for the reply.

Stopped or running: same result.

But, you have my attention: How do I do I "use the 'override' for the NAV" ?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by john312
Did you burn all the folders in one burning session? Some CD players have problems with multisession CDs.

Are the CDs 'finalized' (check the options of your burning program). Some CD players have problems with CDs that have not been finalized.

What filesystem did you use? Some CD players cannot handle the Joliet filename extensions. How long are your filenames?

At what speed did you burn the CDs. Try burning the CDs at a lower speed. (4x or 8x vs 52x)

Note: I have not tried playing an MP3 CD in my TCH and these are just general suggestions related to problems with playing CDs on systems that they were not burned on.
Thanks for the reply.

Used CDFS, but can't recall other details on how the discs were created.

These are good suggestions, however. I will re-do and report.

Now -- if I could only find a blank CD R.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
Thanks for the reply.

Stopped or running: same result.

But, you have my attention: How do I do I "use the 'override' for the NAV" ?
There are various ways depending on what version of the map software you have, and what firmware you have. A search in this forum for "nav hacks" or "override" should provide you with the info you need for your application. There's also a "hybrid" DVD some people have made with early and late software combined to allow new map data and older firmware. It gets complicated, but might be worth some time if you want to be able to enter adresses while in motion.

There are also some after-market products, (I think) and some people have cut some wires and installed a "speed pulse generator". Maybe a search on that also?