Cell Signal Strength fails to update

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Cell Signal Strength fails to update

I am linking my non-NAV TCH with my SE w810i (AT&T). When linked, the phone's signal strength is displayed on the radio's screen. The problem is the strength value never appears to update. It always seems to show whatever it was at the moment the two devices link. My previous phone, a Motorola, updated the signal strength every few seconds so I could always tell when I was in a bad reception area without needing to look at the phone.

Has anybody else seen this behavior? What model phone are you using?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cell Signal Strength fails to update

This is a known issues of sorts.

There is a Toyota site (which I cannot find right now) that lists which phones work with the non-Nav and Nav and what they support (that is, signal strength updates, battery level, and so on).

If I find it I will post it.

UPDATE:

Found it: http://toyota.letstalk.com/brands/toyota-bt/home.htm

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 06-09-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added link.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Is it displaying the phone's or the bluetooth signal strength? I've honestly never really thought about it, and don't use the bluetooth all that frequently, so haven't paid much attention when I was using it.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Mikieboyblue, thanks for that site. I had checked it before I bought my phone, but it lists:
Handsfree system displays the cellular network signal strength: Yes

for the w810i. As I said, it gives the meter, but never updates it for as long as the phone stays paired to the car. If I turn off the car and then restart it, I get an updated meter. Anyway, my Motorola V551 updated almost constantly.

Chestr, the meter displays the phone's signal strength with respect to the cellular network. It's not displaying the Bluetooth strength.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by chestr
Is it displaying the phone's or the bluetooth signal strength? ...
I was afraid to admit it, but that is what I thought the signal bars were, although it doesn't make too much sense to show the signal strength of a device that is almost always within 3 feet of the car's bluetooth system.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I was afraid to admit it, but that is what I thought the signal bars were, although it doesn't make too much sense to show the signal strength of a device that is almost always within 3 feet of the car's bluetooth system.
Haha Larry! It is the cellular signal strength.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Mikieboyblue, thanks for that site. I had checked it before I bought my phone, but it lists:
Handsfree system displays the cellular network signal strength: Yes

for the w810i. As I said, it gives the meter, but never updates it for as long as the phone stays paired to the car. If I turn off the car and then restart it, I get an updated meter. Anyway, my Motorola V551 updated almost constantly.

Chestr, the meter displays the phone's signal strength with respect to the cellular network. It's not displaying the Bluetooth strength.
The site was being a pain for me today....would not load. I remember from the last time I checked it had another item in the list that indicated whether or not the network signal strength would update...since I could not get to the site I could not check. Try to load up the NAV with a Verizon LG VX8700.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
The site was being a pain for me today....would not load. I remember from the last time I checked it had another item in the list that indicated whether or not the network signal strength would update...since I could not get to the site I could not check. Try to load up the NAV with a Verizon LG VX8700.
I looked up your phone but still saw only one reference to network signal strength. There was an entry about showing "roaming", which you phone had a NO for, as did mine. And that's not one I care about anyway.

OK, so I guess I'm just looking for other people's experiences with this meter updating. Maybe I need to post a poll....

Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I looked up your phone but still saw only one reference to network signal strength. There was an entry about showing "roaming", which you phone had a NO for, as did mine. And that's not one I care about anyway.

OK, so I guess I'm just looking for other people's experiences with this meter updating. Maybe I need to post a poll....
Yeah, I just got to the site as well. I could have sworn there was a second item that indicated if it updated or maybe there was a note someplace...

Oh well...sorry for leading you down the wrong path...

I will try to pay attention to mine and see if it updates....but since have the NAV I don't see that icon very much.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Not all cell phones are created equal. The TCH can display continuous signal strength but ony if the phone supplies it.
My V551 and one of my old SE's did but my current Palm Treo 755p only displays the strength when the phone connects to the TCH.

Quick Reply: Cell Signal Strength fails to update

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands