Check Engine - Gas Cap TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Check Engine - Gas Cap TSB

A few weeks after I got my 2009 TCH I got a Check Engine light. The dealer found a defective gas cap and it was replaced, took a while for it to arrive as it wasn't in stock.

This was last fall and all was well until a couple of weeks ago when I filled up the gas cap didn't feel right when I put it on even after several tries. A few days later the check engine light was on again. Took it in and they said it was a common problem and a TSB had been issued. The filler tube and the gas cap I think have to be replaced. They are on order with no prediction as to when they will be available.

There was no indication on the paperwork as to what the TSB number is.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check Engine - Gas Cap TSB

Originally Posted by Acee
A few weeks after I got my 2009 TCH I got a Check Engine light. The dealer found a defective gas cap and it was replaced, took a while for it to arrive as it wasn't in stock.

This was last fall and all was well until a couple of weeks ago when I filled up the gas cap didn't feel right when I put it on even after several tries. A few days later the check engine light was on again. Took it in and they said it was a common problem and a TSB had been issued. The filler tube and the gas cap I think have to be replaced. They are on order with no prediction as to when they will be available.

There was no indication on the paperwork as to what the TSB number is.
How on earth could a dealer not have a gas cap in stock ?

They must have had to replace an incredible number of them !

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

It is T-SB-0364-09 issued on October 19, 2009.

The problem will show up as a P1423 MIL code. They more than likely have the gas cap but the filler tube assembly is also replaced under this TSB and that is probably the hang-up

Old 07-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

I've been having a problem with the gas cap loosening itself. I am positive i tighten the cap fully after refueling, turning the cap 15-20 times and pushing firmly. The next day, the cap will be loose and I get the check engine light. Removing the gas cap, and tightening it again will sometimes make the light turn off after a couple times restarting the vehicle.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

John,

Just take it in to your dealer and mention the TSB noted above. They should fix it for under warranty unless you are out of warranty in which case you will need to fix it yourself

Old 07-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had this done to our 09 last week. Since purchased new, the gas cap had been hard to tighten properly. It would start clicking before it was tight. Pushing in on it allowed it to be tightened the rest of the way. I got tired of the wife filling the car, not tightening the cap all the way, then complaining about the check engine light coming on. (Its her daily driver) The dealer had the parts in stock (cap and filler neck) and fixed it quickly. The new cap is black... IIRC, the old one was white.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Enthusiast

I am experiencing the same issue with the gas cap loosening over time and throwing a CE light on my 2009 TCH. This is the third time it has happened to me. Guess it's back to the dealer, again. What a PIA.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

I've had that happen TWICE and figured that I didn't fasten it enough.

Now I'm wondering. Check Engine came on this afternoon and I stopped and the cap was loose. The first time I just smelled gas in the garage and found the cap wasn't tight.

How long should it take for the check engine light to go off?

My cap is black. I guess perhaps I'm not imagining that I've fastened it all the way.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

The light will go off after 2 or 3 driving cycles or you can have someone clear the code for you.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

A follow up to my previous post. I have finally realized that the gas cap doesn't always thread properly. If the cap is tight in less than two revolutions, back it off and try again. When it is on properly, it takes at least two revolutions to tighten completly.(It will be an obvious difference)

For me, it took six+ driving cycles for my CEL to reset.(longer than I thought it would)

Since I have figured this out, I have not had an issue.

Hope this helps others.

Greg

Quick Reply: Check Engine - Gas Cap TSB

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands