Check Engine light came on, is there a diagnostic mode I can access?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Check Engine light came on, is there a diagnostic mode I can access?

Wife comes in and says the Check Engine light is on. Stealership can't give me an appointment to look at it until Monday. Is there a way to get into a diagnostic mode on an '09 TCH to tell me any info about why the light? If it's something simple, like the gas cap wasn't tight enough, they'll probably want to charge me . I have trouble with paying a "Diagnostic Fee" for something that simple.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check Engine light came on, is there a diagnostic mode I can access?

I think you need a "scanguage" to check the codes yourself. Do you have an "Autozone" near you? They will check it for free. Maybe other parts places will also. Worth a few calls.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Default Re: Check Engine light came on, is there a diagnostic mode I can access?

I agree with Jeff. Any Autozone in Phoenix will check it for you for free.

There's a 24 hr Autozone on something like 55th Ave and Camelback.

Let us know how it goes, Scott!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm naturally a bit concerned about having one of the average parts countermonkeys try to do any diagnostics on a vehicle as 'exotic' as one of these hybrids. The son of a friend works at one, but he's on vacation. I may just risk it, and keep a close eye on them while they do it. <sigh>

Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 AM

I doubt Autozone's diagnostic meter can make any changes to the ECU. It should be a read only and tell you if their any trouble codes. Then they can tell you what possibly caused the code.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

They just use a code reader that plugs into the OBD II port. Get the code from them and let us know what they read for the code. Anything they plug in will not affect the ECU.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, just got back from the Autozone. They pulled the code, and got a P1423. Their computer says something about a problem in the EVAP system, but it also said something about a Subaru. Anyone have any better info???

Thanks,
Scott

Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Scott...It does look like loose gas cap, check this:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...e-p1423-18983/

Last edited by jbollt; 03-20-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Scott,

Did you fill up the tank right before the light came on?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure about when the last fill-up was. It's my Wifes' car, and I'm working a lot of hours since she got laid off. I don't think it was right before, since there was about 3/4 of a tank when I first looked at it. Oh well, we find out tomorrow. I'll post the results.

Thanks, everyone.
Scott

Quick Reply: Check Engine light came on, is there a diagnostic mode I can access?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands