Check Hybrid and VSC System

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Check Hybrid and VSC System

Hi, I was driving my camry hybrid to work this morning and all of a sudden, the dashboard information display window showed 'check hybrid system'. I pulled over and turned off the car and turned back on. The message was still there. Since i was few miles away from work, i decided to continue drive the car at 45mph on free-way. Couple of miles before my exit, the display window showed 'check VSC system' and bunch of warning signals came on. I took the exit, parked the car and checked the mannual. Per mannual, I was supposed to take it to a dealor. I got it towed and the dealer told me after checking the car that I ran over something and the invertor (i think) got a hole or something.

Anyway, in order to fix that it wil cost me over $1,000 and since it's my fault, its not covered under warranty. Did anyone experience this with dealers? How do they know that i ran over something? I know i drive very carefully and i didn't even hear anything when i was driving, not today, not yesterday, not this month...Before checking the car, he told me that the car was under warranty. What should I do?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Check Hybrid and VSC System

Inverter with a hole in it? I doubt it as the inverter is on TOP of the power split unit.

Converter with a hole? Possible that the cat was holed and caused the check engine light but I can't see that causing the VSC light.

Can you have the dealer give you the EXACT cause for the problem and relay it here?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You did not include what year car you have or you total mileage. I see this is your first post in these forums.

Your car should have the air plastic deflector panels under the engine. These are to keep the air from swirling under the engine to increase the gas mileage. I don't remember if they are directly under the (PSD) power split device case.
I'm with David, with the mention of the Power Inverter. That is above the PSD and should be protected from any flying projectiles.

It sure would be nice to see a picture of that hole. This would be a very rare occurrence with any car. I wish it were drivable. I would take it to another Toyota dealer and tell them the basics and let them have a look.

Last edited by rburt07; 03-11-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 AM

Yeah, it sounds next to impossible for running over something to put a hole in the inverter. First, that is before the tires so unless you were driving in reverse an projectile from the tires would have been thrown to the rear of the car. Second, as mentioned, there are splash guards under there and they cover any area were something from below could damage an engine part other than the transmission housing, oil pan, and exhaust.

Maybe, they are talking about the inverter cooling radiator? That *COULD* get a hole in it if a rock shot through your grill. But, I cannot remember if that is behind the normal radiator or not.

Either way, I know it is hard to deal without your car, but I would not do a thing until you look at what they are talking about, take some photos, and possibly check back here or with another dealer. A thousand bucks is tough to swallow.

Sorry man!

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 03-11-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

I called Toyota corporate and made a claim since they specifically mentioned on their site that any problems w/ invertor will be covered under warranty. A lady from corporate called me and said that after talking to the dealor (perhaps, seeing some pics) that the invertor is damaged from outside. Now if you all are saying that's impossible, i am going to see the car and take some pics in couple of hours.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Btw, my car is camry 2007 and total mileage is 28,500.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

More info: The dealer called me and said that the invertor cooling radiator is the one that's damaged.

mikieboyblue, like you mentioned perhaps, a rock shot though the grill...who knows.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:03 PM

That may be the smaller radiator that sits in front of the large radiator. I saw a post on a 2004 Prius that had been wrecked on the drivers side front fender. It damaged the inverter radiator ($94) back then. He also paid for a inverter fluid and flush which was another $250.

The 100K mile pink fluid cost $22 per gallon. (current price) The fluid not only keeps the inverter cool but also helps cool the two electric motors in the transmission case. It's very important the inverter glass has no bubbles in it once filled and running.

I'm not sure how much labor is involved in removing the grill or body parts to get to this radiator area. The dealer may include replacing the inverter electric pump for the quoted $1000 price. It's electric and kicks on when the inverter needs cooling.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Hmmm...yeah. The only other way the radiator could have been damaged is if something shot directly up under the car immediately after passing the front bumper. It would have had to be at least 1 foot tall and very hard. Like a hitting a sharp rock jutting up from the ground while off-roading.

If the whole is in the cooling "fin" area, then a rock or other projectile could have done it through the grill. This would still be a very unlikely situation as the slots are not that big and it would have had to be a fast moving object. Also, a bolt could have done it if kicked up from a vehicle in front of you.

Let us know where the hole is.

I also think Jimmy is right in that the inverter radiator is in front of the engine radiator. It is small. About 1/3 or so the side of the engine radiator.

I also don't see how that could be $1000. I've replaced radiators in the past and they are not that complicated. But, if the pump burnt out because the fluid was gone, that would add to the cost. However, I would have expected the pump to a fail-safe.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Wouldn't this come under auto insurance, if it is something "hitting" the car? Maybe comprehensive? Perhaps worth a call to the insurance company.

Quick Reply: Check Hybrid and VSC System

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands