Check light warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Check light warning

The "check" light in the lower right of the display came on today. Manual says take car to Toyota dealer. I called the dealer, who said it could be anything, emissions problem, hard to say. He said it was fine to drive unless I was having some driveability problem. I only have 5 K miles on the car. I will bring it to the dealer tommorrow, but any speculations on what the problem might be?

Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check light warning

Originally Posted by rewby
The "check" light in the lower right of the display came on today. Manual says take car to Toyota dealer. I called the dealer, who said it could be anything, emissions problem, hard to say. He said it was fine to drive unless I was having some driveability problem. I only have 5 K miles on the car. I will bring it to the dealer tommorrow, but any speculations on what the problem might be?
That is where the ScanGauge II would come in handy. It would tell you what the error is with more information than just a lit light. But, I take it you don't have one handy or you wouldn't be posting your problem as such.

As it is, good luck to you and please let us know what you find out.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't had a chance to take my TCH to the dealer yet since the check light came on (I'm driving my wife's car). However, remembering that I filled up the gas tank only 3 or 4 days ago (isn't it nice how long we go between refueling!), I checked the gas cap. It was on - but not tight. Note that the "filler door open" light on the MFD wasn't on, since the filler door was closed and the cap on, just not tight. I must not have screwed it on tight enough, and it loosened to the point that it clearly wasn't sealed. I'm guessing this would trigger some sensor, since as I understand it the tank does have some sort of leak test. I've tightened the cap, but the check light is still on (though I haven't driven anywhere yet). Any thoughts? I guess even if I fixed the problem the dealer still needs to reset the check light. Obviously, I should get a scangauge II!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

Is it the service reminder light that is on? It lights every 5000 miles on my Hybrid Camry to remind me to take it in for service. On my car it is a red triangularly shaped light with an exclamation point in it. If you would like to just reset it yourself, you can follow this link to another thread in this forum. Odometer must be set so that trip "a" is displayed.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...et+maint+light

I hope this helps,
Regards,
Doug

Old 05-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, but it's not the maintenance light (that light came on as I approached 5000 miles and has since be reset). This is a yellow light in the lower right of the display, with an engine icon and the work "check" below it. You can see it light up briefly when you start up the car.

I'm going to swing by the dealer on the way to work to have them check it; hopefully it was just the loose gas cap, and they can reset the light.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, but it's not the maintenance light (that light came on as I approached 5000 miles and has since be reset). This is a yellow light in the lower right of the display, with an engine icon and the work "check" below it. You can see it light up briefly when you start up the car.

I'm going to swing by the dealer on the way to work to have them check it; hopefully it was just the loose gas cap, and they can reset the light.
My wife has had her engine light come on (non-hybrid Camry) and it was the gas cap. After tightening it up and driving for a few minutes, it did go off. Hoping it is same for you.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If your gas cap was loose, that should give you error code, I'm not sure how long it takes for such a code to clear but I would start up the car and drive around few times and try to start up the car few more times, You have nothing to loose and gain one less trip to the dealer. Also check in the manual, they may have some info there.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

As someone who is experienced with "check engine lights" being a previous owner of VW Beetle, I found that even though the problem has been corrected, the check engine light had to be removed with the special tool.
I found that the tool can be rented... free of charge... at the local auto parts store.
I am not to sure where the access port is... try under the drivers side.

Good luck.
Grammy

Old 05-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

The check light didn't go out even after starting and stopping the hybrid system several times, even after driving 5 miles to the dealer.

The dealer took the car for 20 minutes and confirmed that it was the gas tank (i.e. loose gas cap), and reset the light at no charge.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The check light didn't go out even after starting and stopping the hybrid system several times, even after driving 5 miles to the dealer.

The dealer took the car for 20 minutes and confirmed that it was the gas tank (i.e. loose gas cap), and reset the light at no charge.
I'm glad to hear it was only a loose gas cap. I don't know for sure, but I believe the light would have auto reset after about 5 trips (not just starting the engine). If I am mistaken, someone please comment.

Quick Reply: Check light warning

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands