Check VSC System

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Check VSC System

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I went to my Toyota dealership to change my brake fluid since it was time to do so. As I was driving out form the dealership after the change, I noticed that the car began to pulsate when I stepped on the brake. I immediately went back to the dealership and told them about the problem. They said to drive for a week and see if the problem goes away. During that week, the brakes continued to pulsate and at one instance, they gave out completely for a few seconds. I went back to the dealership to tell them and they said the problem was that the car had deformed brake rotors. They resurfaced the rotors and put new brake pads on the car after assuring me that this problem would go away. It did not, and my money for the service was not refunded. They kept the car for 3 more days, saying that they would try to take care of the problem. I got the car back today with them telling me that they could not fix the problem. Now however, instead of the brakes simply pulsating, the ABS light is on, the e-brake light is on even when the e-brake is disengaged, and the car is saying to check the VSC system. The brakes are also noticeably weaker to the extent that I am afraid to drive my kids, let alone myself in this car. There were no problems before the brake fluid exchange and now there are so many that I am in awe of the quality of the service that I received. Please let me know what can I do about this problem. I do not want anyone to get hurt if the brakes fail on the car again.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check VSC System

The tech that replaced the brake fluid probably didn't know that it was a hybrid and just assume the conventional brake bleeding/flushing procedure. You have to ask them how they did the brake bleeding/flushing (or probably none was done)

It is recommended that brake fluid must be changed every 3-4 years regardless of mileage, honestly I have cars older than that still has the original brake fluid. I just top it off if it's low.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Second ^^^^^ that. There is a very lengthy and very specific procedure to bleed hybrid Camry brake system. Requires special very expensive scanner.
I'd say for starters, CALL before you take car anywhere else for this procedure. Next, go back to that dealership and start hell, until they give you refund.
Next, do NOT go back to same dealership again, they obviously do not know what they do and milk you every time.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:32 AM

(2) Connect the intelligent tester to the DLC3 with the power switch off as shown in the illustration.
(3) Turn the power switch on (IG).

NOTICE: Do not start the engine.

(4) Turn the intelligent tester on and select "DIAGNOSTIC MENU"->"ABS/ VSC"->"ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM UTILITY"->"ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM INVALID".

CAUTION: If the pump motor operates while air remains inside the brake actuator hose, air will enter the actuator, and this will make bleeding the brakes more difficult.
(b) When removing the ABS motor relay:
(1) Remove the 2 ABS motor relays (ABS motor relay No. 2) with the power switch off in order to disable brake control.

CAUTION: If the pump motor operates while air remains inside the brake actuator hose, air will enter the actuator, and this will make bleeding the brakes more difficult.

NOTICE:

After the brake actuator assembly been replaced, remove the ABS motor relay before bleeding the brakes.
Before removing the brake actuator assembly, make sure to perform accumulator pressure zero down.

BLEED BRAKE ACTUATOR HOSE

(a) Connect SST to the reservoir with the brake reservoir pressure adapter.
SST 09992-00242, 09992-00350
(b) Loosen the bleeder plug of the actuator.
(c) Connect a vinyl tube to the bleeder plug of the actuator.
(d) Use the SST to boost pressure in the reservoir.
Standard: 50 to 80 kPa (0.5 to 0.8 kgf/cm2, 7.3 to 11.6 psi)
(e) Drain approximately 100 cc (3.4 fl.oz) of fluid.
(f) Tighten the bleeder plug and boost the pressure in the reservoir again (50 to 80 kPa (0.5 to 0.8 kgf/cm2) ). Then, loosen the bleeder plug and bleed the brake actuator hose.

NOTICE: Repeat this procedure at least 5 times .

(g) When air is completely bled out from the hose between the reservoir and the actuator, tighten the bleeder plug.
Torque: 8.3 Nm (85 kgf-cm, 74 inch lbs.)

BLEED MASTER CYLINDER

HINT: If the master cylinder has been disassembled or if the reservoir becomes empty, bleed the air from the master cylinder.

Using SST, disconnect the brake stroke simulator line from the master cylinder.
SST 09023-00101
(b) Using SST, disconnect the brake line from the master cylinder.
SST 09023-00101
(c) Slowly depress and hold the brake pedal (Procedure A).
(d) Cover the outer holes with fingers, and release the brake pedal (Procedure B).
(e) Repeat procedure A and B 3 or 4 times .
(f) Use the SST to fully tighten the brake line.
SST 09023-00101
Torque: Without SST 15 Nm (155 kgf-cm, 11 ft. lbs.)
With SST 14 Nm (143 kgf-cm, 10 ft. lbs.)

NOTICE:

If brake fluid leaks onto any painted surface of the vehicle, wash or remove it completely.
Bleed air by following the steps displayed on the intelligent tester.
Do not bend or damage the brake line.
Do not allow any foreign matter such as dirt and dust to enter the brake line from the connecting points.
Use a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of 250 mm (9.84 inch) .
This torque value is effective when SST is parallel to a torque wrench.

HINT: Air can be easily bled from the front brake system if air has been bled from the master cylinder when replacing the brake master cylinder assembly.
(g) Use the SST to fully tighten the brake stroke simulator line.
SST 09023-00101
Torque: Without SST 15 Nm (155 kgf-cm, 11 ft. lbs.)
With SST 14 Nm (143 kgf-cm, 10 ft. lbs.)

NOTICE:

If brake fluid leaks onto any painted surface of the vehicle, wash or remove it completely.
Do not bend or damage the brake line.
Do not allow any foreign matter such as dirt and dust to enter the brake line from the connecting points.
Use a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of 250 mm (9.84 inch) .
This torque value is effective when SST is parallel to a torque wrench.

HINT: Air can be easily bled from the front brake system if air has been bled from the master cylinder when replacing the brake master cylinder assembly.

BLEED FRONT BRAKE SYSTEM

NOTICE:

(a) Depress the brake pedal several times and bleed the front brake system from the bleeder plugs on the front brake cylinders RH and LH.

HINT: Repeat the procedure until air is completely bled from the front brake system.

CANCEL BRAKE CONTROL DISABLE

(a) Install the 2 ABS motor relays (ABS motor relay No. 2). (If they have been removed.)
(b) Cancel brake control prevention following the prompts on the tester screen. (If brake control has been prevented using the intelligent tester.)

CLEAR DTC FOR BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM

HINT: Refer the procedures up to "ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM".

BLEED REAR BRAKE SYSTEM

CAUTION: Never bleed air from the brake hydraulic system without using the intelligent tester. Failure to use the intelligent tester could cause serious injury or an accident.

NOTICE: Bleed air by following the steps displayed on the intelligent tester.

(a) Connect the intelligent tester to the DLC3 with the power switch off.
(b) Check that the parking brake is applied and turn the power switch on (IG).
(c) Turn the intelligent tester on and select "DIAGNOSTIC MENU"->"ABS/ VSC"->"ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM UTILITY"->"ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM INVALID".
(d) With the brake pedal depressed, bleed the rear brake system from the bleeder plug on the rear disc brake cylinder LH while the pump motor and solenoid are operating.

CAUTION: Keep the fluid inside the reservoir above the LOW level by replenishing.

HINT:

Depress and hold the brake pedal.
After the solenoid operates for approximately 30 seconds , release the brake pedal to stop the solenoid.
Repeat the procedures until air is completely bled from the rear brake system.
The brake control warning light comes on and the buzzer sounds while bleeding, but they do not indicate a malfunction.

(e) Tighten the bleeder plug after bleeding.
(f) Turn the intelligent tester on and select "DIAGNOSTIC MENU"->"ABS/ VSC"->"ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM UTILITY"->"ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM INVALID".
(g) With the brake pedal depressed, bleed the rear brake system from the bleeder plug on the rear disc brake cylinder RH while the pump motor and solenoid are operating.

CAUTION: Keep the fluid inside the reservoir above the LOW level by replenishing.

HINT:

Depress and hold the brake pedal.
After the solenoid operates for approximately 30 seconds , release the brake pedal to stop the solenoid.
Repeat the procedures until air is completely bled from the rear brake system.
The brake control warning light comes on and the buzzer sounds while bleeding, but they do not indicate a malfunction.

(h) Tighten the bleeder plug after bleeding.

PERFORM ACCUMULATOR PRESSURE ZERO DOWN

CAUTION:

Never bleed air from the brake hydraulic system without using the intelligent tester. Failure to use the intelligent tester could cause serious injury or an accident.
Be sure to perform this procedure before replacement, removal, or installation of the actuator.

NOTICE: Perform accumulator zero down by following the steps displayed on the intelligent tester.

(a) Connect the intelligent tester to the DLC3 with the power switch off.
(b) Depressurize the accumulator.
(1) Check that the parking brake is applied and turn the power switch on (IG).
(2) Turn the intelligent tester on and select "DIAGNOSTIC MENU"->"ABS/ VSC"->"ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE SYSTEM UTILITY"->"ZERO DOWN" on the intelligent tester.
(3) When the buzzer sounds, turn the power switch off.
(c) Circulate the fluid in the accumulator.
(1) Depressurize the accumulator 5 times .

HINT:

Accumulator pressure is released and accumulated repeatedly, which circulates the fluid inside the accumulator, when repeating accumulator zero down.
The pump motor rotates and the accumulator is pressurized every time the power switch is turned from off to on (IG).

CHECK BRAKE FLUID LEVEL IN RESERVOIR

(a) After performing accumulator zero down (accumulator depressurizing), return the fluid in the accumulator back to the reservoir and then adjust the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir to the MAX level.

HINT:

After performing accumulator zero down (accumulator depressurizing), fluid is built up in the accumulator by turning the power switch on (IG) and the fluid level of the reservoir lowers.
If the fluid level is adjusted without performing accumulator zero down (accumulator depressurizing), fluid is sent from the accumulator to the reservoir. The fluid level may exceed the MAX level, but it is normal.

CLEAR DTC FOR BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM
PERFORM LINEAR VALVE OFFSET LEARNING

(a) When the brake actuator assembly is replaced, perform linear valve offset learning after bleeding is completed.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

Just to add to this conversation, I do not own a hybrid, but I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna XLS with just over 50K miles. Tonight, I was idling with the heater on and my Check VSC System message appeared. I saw that for others (above) the cars were moving when the light came on. I'll post again tomorrow after I visit my dealer.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bokster
I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I went to my Toyota dealership to change my brake fluid since it was time to do so. As I was driving out form the dealership after the change, I noticed that the car began to pulsate when I stepped on the brake. I immediately went back to the dealership and told them about the problem. They said to drive for a week and see if the problem goes away. During that week, the brakes continued to pulsate and at one instance, they gave out completely for a few seconds. I went back to the dealership to tell them and they said the problem was that the car had deformed brake rotors. They resurfaced the rotors and put new brake pads on the car after assuring me that this problem would go away. It did not, and my money for the service was not refunded. They kept the car for 3 more days, saying that they would try to take care of the problem. I got the car back today with them telling me that they could not fix the problem. Now however, instead of the brakes simply pulsating, the ABS light is on, the e-brake light is on even when the e-brake is disengaged, and the car is saying to check the VSC system. The brakes are also noticeably weaker to the extent that I am afraid to drive my kids, let alone myself in this car. There were no problems before the brake fluid exchange and now there are so many that I am in awe of the quality of the service that I received. Please let me know what can I do about this problem. I do not want anyone to get hurt if the brakes fail on the car again.
Have you seen this article:

NHTSA Investigating 30,000 Camry Hybrids for Brake Assist Problems

Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Ron AKA
Unfortunately that is what it sounds like.... His accumulator may have been on "its last leg" and then having the brake fluid changed (assuming they did it correctly) did it in.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
Unfortunately that is what it sounds like.... His accumulator may have been on "its last leg" and then having the brake fluid changed (assuming they did it correctly) did it in.
I would think there is enough evidence to show they did not do the job correctly. Should be enough of an opening to get it all repaired at the dealer's cost. It is obviously a flaw in any case. Toyota I believe tries to argue that this hybrid brake system is not part of the hybrid component extended warranty. I think it would be easy to win a small claims court decision that it is a hybrid specific component and should be covered.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:35 AM

If it were me I would call your dealers service department and ask who did your brake job. The name may be on your receipt. Then call back and ask for the operator or shop foreman if this man is a Certified Hybrid Tech.

The dealership here in our town has one Certified Hybrid Tech. I know him well after I bought the '07 TCH 7 years ago talking to him before I made the purchase. He does good work when needed and when he is in Phoenix at a Toyota school, I wait till he gets back to do anything to my TCH

When you take your TCH to the Toyota dealer, be sure to ask for their Certified Hybrid Tech to do you work on your car and you might ask for his name.

Last edited by rburt07; 04-22-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

Hello everyone, I have a problem. Scanner issued here this code C1253 Pump motor relay. The display says chech VSC system and other and other icons like the Bokster. I need to change the ABS? Or I can repair it?

Quick Reply: Check VSC System

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands