Cleaning dash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Cleaning dash?

Manual says to use damp cloth w/mile soap or detergent to clean vinyl interior. Does anyone know what the dash is made of? If vinyl is it ok to clean with Armorall and then use Armorall protectant on the dash? I have leather seats and maybe a leather steering wheel cover(looks like vinyl), but the dash looks like vinyl.

Thanks,

Old 01-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Cleaning dash?

The only problem I had with Armour All was that it left my dash pretty shiny, so this caused a glare problem from the dash.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Refrain from Armor All for sure.

Meguiar's makes some good quick interior detailer which works in a pinch. But the best suggestion is a mild solution of warm water and Woolite with a soft cotton cloth.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Cleaning dash?

Mild detergent if needed, but most of the time a damp cloth will get it clean. I have used a protectant called 303 Aerospace Protectant for years on my vehicles and my boats. It works really well. It provides UV protection as well as the normal protection which prevents dirt from becoming embedded. Also, it's matte finish, so no glare. It is a little pricey compared to ArmorAll, but you really don't need to use as much to cover, so in the end it probably costs about the same. Just my $.02...

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The Owner's Manual says very little about cleaning the interior in Section 5. The "New Car Features Guide" does give some information about the different exterior plastics used on pages IN-20 to 22. I'm attaching these pages for your information. I can't find any corresponding information about the interior plastics, however.

Stan

Attached Files
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by kris
Refrain from Armor All for sure.
Other than the glare caused by it (unless you get the natural look which is hard to find), why not?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Follow what others are saying... DO NOT use armor all, it just makes it look cheap and shinny. Your best bet is with a damp cloth but make sure the towel used has been previously washed to eliminate any threads from coming off. Micofiber (lightly damp) is the best, if you need to clean your dash, use a vinyl cleaner such as Vinylex (sp) from Lexol.

BUT, then remove it with a very damp cloth to get rid of the shinny effect. LESS is more when dealing with dashes.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Other than the glare caused by it (unless you get the natural look which is hard to find), why not?
It can cause the dashboard to start cracking. I read thus somewhere and I can not remember where. I think the manual says to not use armoral doesn't it?