Cold and mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Cold and mpg

hi all

i bought used 07 TCH in march. owner told me he was averaging 36-37 mpg.

as with all my cars, i had K&N air filter installed right away and ended with 42.5 mpg by about septemebr or so, not even really hypermiling.

2 things happened.

following Toyota recommendations, i changed oil with 0w20; honestly, mpg tumbled down very fast to maybe 39+ without any driving style change.

then, as it kept getting colder outside, mpg kept creeping down; engine stays on longer, sounds like it's continuously "warming up" hybrid drive; dropping down into electrical mode is less frequent and popping out of it more frequent.

i have even installed new plugs 2 weeks ago(52K miles) to no improvement.

so, my question is: is this car so much cold sensitive? well, now that they did all that time shift bs, lights are on longer, fan is on more to keep it warm inside, i understand that. but it's a serious drop, from 42 to maybe 37.

just curious, if that's the way they are, or i need to worry? i still have 7 000 miles left on powertrain warranty, so i have no problems dropping her off at dealership and let them check her out all through under warranty.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Cold and mpg

Try giving it some acetone....

With as much research as you have done on that subject, this one should be a no brainer.

Of course that is just my "stupid" opinion on the matter.....

Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 PM

@David...Hehe!

Anyway, there are several reasons for "worse" fuel economy in the colder weather. You touched on some of them. Have you engaged "eco" mode? that helps. Also, the gasoline you are using may be reformulated for winter, and will be less efficient. Many folks on this forum have reported similar results in winter. Read, read read.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

All cars are 'cold sensitive'. When it's cold my SC shows the temp as a countdown when stopped at a red light and since the TCH is trying to keep the ICE in an optimum temp range the engine will run more, thereby burning more fuel and resulting in poorer mileage.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 PM

thank you.

i have totally forgotten about eco mode. but isn't that for a/c only?

yes, of course we are all infected by the winter formulation gas. known gas guzzling additive. Europe does not do it, and look at their mpg. along with winter time change. someone did research on how much more profit fuel companies have due to this change.

anyhow, once again, appreciate everyone's input. i sort of started freaking out. yet, i must absolutely confirm that mpg dropped several miles right after switching to 0W20 oil. i am tempted to go back to 5W20, but i have only 4 K miles on this oil, and it's Amsoil, lasts well over 10K miles.

i'll let her run as is. see what happens towards warmer times.

PS Lord Buddha once said:

Acting upon anger
Is like grabbing hot coal with bare hand
To throw it at someone;
You are the one
Who gets hurt.

Sapientis sat.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

One other thing, keep you tire pressure at about 40 to 42 psi.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

They get the same mileage in Europe as we do on this side of the pond. Their mileage ratings on the cars are higher because the testing methodology is different and they use an imperial gallon (4.54l vs. 3.78l). In Canada the TCH is rated at 42MPG US, vs the US at 34MPG. it is not different gas or a different car, just different tests.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 PM

In the winter every car burns more fuel, but hybrid is more affected and it's also because of the heat inside the car. To keep passengers warm, the engine will run much longer, mine won't stop at lights etc. for good 10 min from cold start even now when temperature is still above freezing. Shut the heat off and you'll see car will run in EV mode much sooner and more often. If you dropped from 42 to 37 mpg in city traffic, I figure I would drop from 22 to 20 mpg in my old Accord V6, just about normal. It will only get worse and then in spring it will get better. Honestly 37mpg is nothing to sneeze at.
BTW TCH has iridium sparks, good for 120k miles according to Toyota.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast

This is normal for a TCH. We own two ('07 and '09) and have several winters' experience. It will pop right back up when the weather gets better.

I agree with watching your heat settings... it can be fun at a red light turning the heat on and off and seeing the engine come on to generate heat... and also agree with keeping the tires at 40.

Or, move south. :-)

Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Malcontent

Did you do the oil change yourself? Have you allowed anyone but yourself to service the vehicle?

European fuel efficiency also benefits from different testing standards and Imperial gallons. A lot of European diesels report phenomenal fuel efficiency that always seems to be lost when they're brought to the US.

Quick Reply: Cold and mpg

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands