Considering a new TCH or Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Considering a new TCH or Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

My 2008 TCH has a lot of life left in it, but I've toyed with the idea of a new car next year.
I think the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH) looks sharp. I don't know much about the car, but have heard good things.
The specs look similar, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with the HSH or has considered getting the car.
Thanks!

Old 10-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Considering a new TCH or Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Larry,

One thing to take into account is the track record and history with hybrids of a company. That is why I went with Toyota to start with and the reason I would stay away from Hyundai for a few years until they have proven they are capable of building a long lasting, trouble free hybrid.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Enthusiast

Toyota HSD system is superior to Hyundai hybrid technology. PSD vs traditional automatic transmission coupled with a motor/generator. Day vs Night.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by drini
Toyota HSD system is superior to Hyundai hybrid technology. PSD vs traditional automatic transmission coupled with a motor/generator. Day vs Night.
thanks...is that quantifiable or documented...or is it home team bravado?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

<<<@!1!@>>>
You can Google it yourself an find much more info, but here you have two links:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...d_first_drive/

Old 11-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
My 2008 TCH has a lot of life left in it, but I've toyed with the idea of a new car next year.
I think the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH) looks sharp. I don't know much about the car, but have heard good things.
The specs look similar, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with the HSH or has considered getting the car.
Thanks!
I've looked at alternatives as well - our '08 is going to get handed down when my 16 YO daughter needs a 'full-time' car. The '15 TCH is looking good, as are the new Fusion and Accord. My take:
  1. TCH - PRO: like the '15 styling, proven track record, proven reliability and durability. CON - the new ride/handling compromise, particularly on the SE flavor.
  2. Accord hybrid - PRO: 50 MPG city, overall package is nice, decent value. CON - History of so-so hybrid component durability.
  3. Fusion hybrid - PRO: Styling, performance, better FE ratings than TCH. CON: Some owner frustration and durability issue (cough, cough MS Sink - or is that Stink?), styling-compromised packaging, 'optimistic' FE ratings history.
  4. Sonata Hybrid: PRO: Price, styling. CON - worst of both worlds hybrid design, with friction-clutch automatic, polish on brake/regen, A/C implementation.
At the moment, I'd see the TCH with a slight lead for me - but the Accord is nice as is the Fusion. When we're actually ready to do it it will likely be who among the top 3 is at the best value point (price for package of features).

I've read about the VW hybrids - but the VW repair record, maintenance requirements for the dual-clutch auto, and system design eliminated them. from consideration.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:03 PM

Frodo, Frodo, Frodo....
1. I get those itches to get a new car once in a while. You know what? So far, ain't nothing really better than TCH. So why change. And why itch to start with?
2. FUSION? A FORD? You serious?
3. Honda had major issue with traction batteries. Major. YOU want to be the one to prove me wrong?
4. Buying on looks? You marry beauty, you live with a person. You buy looks, you live with reliability and quality. Ever since Hyundai became a standard of those?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Frodo, Frodo, Frodo....
1. I get those itches to get a new car once in a while. You know what? So far, ain't nothing really better than TCH. So why change. And why itch to start with?
2. FUSION? A FORD? You serious?
3. Honda had major issue with traction batteries. Major. YOU want to be the one to prove me wrong?
4. Buying on looks? You marry beauty, you live with a person. You buy looks, you live with reliability and quality. Ever since Hyundai became a standard of those?
Not really an itch - we're at a stage where we'll be adding drivers (and vehicles) over the next several years. Target will be 2-4 YO vehicles, hence the vehicles in discussion. I've a number of frustration items with Toyota (strut durability, interior deterioration, annoying rattles, a distressing number of recalls, as well as the 'sword of Damocles' for the brake pump and the ICE water pump)

As to Honda history with traction batteries - that has all been with a completely different design - both for battery and for powertrain. Honda's IMA setup was a decided 'seemed a good idea at the time'. The Accord uses a 2-motor setup that has nothing in common with the old IMA setup, including battery chemistry. Now, could be 'brave engineering' that over-stress the battery continues - that should be apparent by the time we purchase in the form of repair record.

As to styling - I agree, which is why I mentioned that as a Fusion downside. How we suffer for fashion - whether in comfort or room.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Very simple to me, the Prius came out in 1995 and '96 was test driven and later sold in Japan only.

In 2000 the Prius was also sold in America which it's sales really took off. Toyota has a great track record with their hybrids.

I see the Hyundai shifts gears 6 times. Toyota hybrids don't need to shift or include a clutch. Have you noticed the 2012 or newer toyota hybrids have no belts to break or worry with and the engine has no spark plug wires.

It's about time that toyota came out with a new higher mpg hybrid. The last engine/ hybrid update was the 2012 models.

I watched the video and they mention the Hyundai got 40 mpg. Was that highway only. I get 48 combined on my 2012 TCH.

Last edited by rburt07; 11-13-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:16 PM

I have tested non-hybrids that got better fuel economy than the Sonata Hybrid I had for a week.

Compared to a Toyota system or the new Fusion, NO way would I pay my money for the Sonata.

Quick Reply: Considering a new TCH or Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands