Default Consumer Reports sees Toyota reliability slip

Check it out....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21324818/

MSNBC.com

Consumer Reports sees Toyota reliability slip
Two of top automaker’s models earn below-average rankings in a study
Reuters
Updated: 3:23 p.m. ET Oct 16, 2007

DETROIT - Consumer Reports said on Tuesday that it was reversing a practice of recommending all new Toyota cars and trucks after two models earned below-average rankings in a closely watched reliability study.

The step marked the latest setback for Toyota Motor Corp. after a period of fast growth in the United States that has made it the No. 2 player in the world’s largest auto market.

In recent years, Japanese auto brands, led by Toyota, have dominated Consumer Reports’ influential study of the most reliable new vehicles.

Besides its influence with car shoppers, the annual study is used by major automakers as a proxy for their performance in improving and maintaining vehicle quality.

Although Toyota ranked third in reliability behind only Honda Motor Co and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd’s Subaru, Consumer Reports also found two Toyota models had “below average” predicted reliability.

Those two models were the V-6 version of Toyota’s flagship Camry sedan and the four-wheel-drive, V-8 version of its new Tundra pickup truck.

“Consumer Reports will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design,” the publication said in a statement. ”Previously, new and redesigned models were recommended because of the automaker’s excellent track record.”

The same study found gains for Ford Motor Co., which landed three models on the magazine’s “most reliable” list.

Consumer Reports ranked the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and the automaker’s market-leading F-150 pickup truck with a V-6 engine as among the most-reliable new vehicles on the market.

“Ford continues to improve,” David Champion, director of auto testing for Consumer Reports, said in a statement. “We believe Toyota is aware of its issues and trying to fix problems quickly.”

Champion was due to brief reporters in Detroit on the results of the annual survey on Tuesday.

Representatives for Toyota and Ford were not immediately available for comment.

In the first nine months of this year, Toyota had a 16.2 percent share of the U.S. market for new cars and light trucks, behind only General Motors Corp at 23.8 percent.

But the Japanese automaker’s fast growth since 2000, when it had less than 10 percent of the U.S. market, has left it facing new pressure and scrutiny.

Two high-ranking executives have defected from Toyota’s U.S. subsidiary in recent months to join U.S. automakers. The most recent of those was Jim Farley, who left Toyota’s luxury Lexus division, to take over as top marketing executive at Ford.

In September, Toyota’s North American chief, Jim Press, left the automaker after a 37-year career to become vice chairman at newly private Chrysler LLC.

Toyota, which has won credit with consumers for its reputation for quality and fuel-efficiency, has also come under fire from environmental groups.

Although Toyota dominates the market for fuel-efficient hybrids with its Prius, it has joined Detroit-based automakers in lobbying against stringent increases in fleetwide fuel economy.

Consumer Reports is published by the nonprofit Consumers Union. The magazine accepts no paid advertising.

The publication’s “predicted reliability” study for new model vehicles is based on an average of consumer ratings of the same model in the recent years.

The magazine surveys readers and visitors to its Web site about their experience with the cars and trucks they own.
Copyright 2007 Reuters. Click for restrictions.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21324818/
MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2007 MSNBC.com

Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Consumer Reports sees Toyota reliability slip

Does that mean the ES350 is affected too? It's using the same engine/tranny combo.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Can someone who gets Consumer Reports (the actual or online magazine) report on how the TCH model was rated? Do they differentiate it from the other non-hybrid models?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM

I think Camry V6 was having problems with transmission surge/ slow pick up, partially due to computer programing. It would be nice to see a breakdown of what the problems are since there is a difference between noise in the dashboard and car needing a tow. As far as I remember only one member on this forum, Charles, had major failure so far. Being rated 3rd overall I still think is nothing to be ashamed of. If I remember correctly many Mercedes, BMW and Jaguar models were rated bellow average many times before.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by spiff72
Can someone who gets Consumer Reports (the actual or online magazine) report on how the TCH model was rated? Do they differentiate it from the other non-hybrid models?
I think my GF has a subscription. I will ask later tonight.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:23 AM

I might have misunderstood this. I thought it was time for the new car issue. I just wondered if they put all of their rankings into these mid-year issues. (I actually don't think that they do).

Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Reading about all the problems with both the new auto trannies on various sites including the government's safety complaint site, I'm surprised the 4 cyl Camry didn't make the unreliable list as well. Until we bought the hybrid (which appears problem free) I was trying to steer my wife to the Ford Focus over the "conventional" Camry. Real irony here is that the Focus was just rated as one of the most reliable cars by CU! Who would think it?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Consumer Reports sees Toyota reliability slip

I read the review last night. Their predicted reliability for the Camry Hybrid is "Excellent". They loved the Prius as well. It's hard to have transmission problems when you don't have a transmission.

...oh god, I can hear the keyboards clicking... OK, the power split device is considered a transmission. And a very reliable one at that .

Old 10-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have an online account with Consumer Reports and checked the Camry Hybrid. Out of 17 categories, reliability was ranked with a best score for 14 of them. "Power Equip." and "Audio System" got "good" ratings (2nd highest) and "Squeaks and Rattles" got the worst rating possible. With this info, I'm not too concerned about the reliability of my squeaky, rattly car.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by andrewbmoore
I have an online account with Consumer Reports and checked the Camry Hybrid. Out of 17 categories, reliability was ranked with a best score for 14 of them. "Power Equip." and "Audio System" got "good" ratings (2nd highest) and "Squeaks and Rattles" got the worst rating possible. With this info, I'm not too concerned about the reliability of my squeaky, rattly car.
Did that give a date for the rating?

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports sees Toyota reliability slip

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands