Convert DRL's to Canadian standards

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:32 PM
cam
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Convert DRL's to Canadian standards

I just imported a 2008 TCH into Alberta Canada. To pass the inspection I need to change the daytime running lights so that they will not turn off. I was quoted $450.00 from a local toyota shop to install a relay. Does anybody have a solution to fixing this problem more inexpensively. I emailed Steinbock but have yet to receive an answer to clarify his fix.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Convert DRL's to Canadian standards

For about 50 bucks you can get a kit to convert the turn signals into daytime running lights. I think they are better then the 50% power to the highbeams headlights that come with the canadian tch.

I have both as I imported a us fiero and used this kit and I bought a second unit for a prius I was going to import but had too many problems with, and ended up buying a canadian tch.

If I had my choice I would use the conversion kit and switch the turn signals to led turn signals which means I would only be consuming about 3 watts of energy continually instead of about 70 watts to run the highbeams at reduced power.

The turn signals modified with the kit is far superior in visability, and the installation is so simple my dog could do it.

Tim

Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
cam
Enthusiast

tim- do you know if canadian tire will accept turn signal as drl.these adapters somtimes have to be spliced into other wireing. which i am scared of setting a trouble code.do you know where to buy this adapter.on monday i can go to cnadian tire to see if they will accept turn signal as drl.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know that canadian tire got the contract to do the federal inspection that you paid 195 for when importing your vehicle into canada.

the day time light requirement is that the lights must come on with the ignition all the time and not be able to be turned off

the kit turns your 27/3 turn/park lights into a continious 27 watt light which only goes off with the activation of the parking lights or when the turn signal is activated.

on my fiero when driving for 12-16 hours constantly the 27 watt bulb heated up and distorted the small turn signal lens.

I the switched to led turn/park bulbs which consume a little over 1 watt each and everything is perfect and power consumption is very minimal.

As for canadian tire accepting these I cannot see why not as this is the same system the corvette, gmc pickup, and dodge vans use,

they are very bright and visible as the bright yellow stands out in the sun versus the white lights that some vehicles use

In comparisson the two led's in the turn signal consume a little over 2 watts but under 3 watts with resistive draw, comparing this to running a 65 watt high beam light at 50-70% power consume approximately you end up with a power consumption of between 65-80 watts.

Now given that when you stop or are parked in a parking lot the engine automatically turns off however the daytime lights stay on draining the battery and eventually the engine starts, kind of defeating the purpose of energy savings in my opinion.

I have run auto led for over 3 years now and they are par to better then regular bulbs, but consume extremely little power and last upwards of 50,000 hours each.

If I can figure how to deactive the factory drl's I will and install the turn signal mod with led bulbs.

hopefully this helps you a little

tim

Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 PM
cam
Enthusiast

thanks for the info. i live in alberta. can you tell me how you found this adapter.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Another way is to modify the switch to prevent turning off the DRL:

Originally Posted by voodoo
Many local garages are gov't APPROVED to conduct the provincial safety check in this Province as well as all auto dealers and CT.
AS Steinbock says "I took the switch apart (nothing to it), inserted a small 5 mm piece of plastic into it and problem fixed. Free! No need to flash the computer, no need to spend $220.00 for headlight switch. Passed the federal, the provincial with flying colors, am enjoying he car right now!" So it sure sounds like the 5 mm piece is placed inside the switch to prevent the rotary switch from being able to be turn to "DRL OFF"

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am wondering if this mechanical sollution might not work. Set the light control stalk on "auto" then cut a small groove in the underside of the stalk where it won't be seen. Insert a small piece of wire in the groove and glue it in place. A small piece of tape should finish the job.

Wait. Voodoo has a better answer

Last edited by Al Froio; 05-30-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Check the fuse box. It may be just a matter of installing a fuse? H

Old 05-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I used this unit and have a spare which I am still thinking of using in my 09 camry. I have installed 4-5 of them and they are quite simple, I do not use the connectors, and direct wire with tape and heat shrink tubing.

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

I you want the factory "Canadian" look which I do not like due to the high power consumption the here is a link for the module

http://www.soundoffsignal.com/electronic/drl_el.htm

as for the led bulbs try here I have done several of these mods

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Like I mentioned before if you use the web electric module for about 40 bucks or 50 shipped to Canada, then change the turn signal bulbs to led you will save gas by reducing electric consumption and reduce or completely eliminate any heat build up which may or may not distort the turn signal lens.

here is the specific cross referenced bulb for the turn signal 3457 which convert to 3157 or 3157/a, they are 3 watts each which is far brighter then the standard lights in the camry

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/315x-xLX3.htm

Last edited by tharvey; 05-31-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
cam
Enthusiast

I had to go away sat-sun.yor last posting is very helpfull.I am going to order the adapter to turn the signals into drl.The bulbs I can pick up locally.I tried to pull the drl swith apart but I was scared of beaking the cap off.I tried emailing steinbock no reply as of yet.

Quick Reply: Convert DRL's to Canadian standards

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands