Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Coolant Leak?

I found a puddle of a clear watery substance underneath the engine block area this morning. I checked the coolant reservoirs and the converter/inverter reservoir was near the low marker. I made an appointment to take the car in this Friday.

I found that in a consumer report said that the 04-06 Prius may develop coolant leak in the converter/inverter assembly. Has anyone else had this issue before?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Coolant Leak?

All of the liquids in the engine area are colored to a degree , coolant is pink etc . The drain for the condensate (water)from the A/C is in that area , could this be what you are looking at ?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Paul is correct, coolant has color and probably is not what you're seeing. Coolant expands as it heats up so having it near the low marker is probably appropriate.

Scott

Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

I think you guys are right. I went home and jacked the car up and found the drip line from I'm guessing the AC. I didn't know there was a drip line.

I haven't been using the AC since it's been fall type weather here in Utah. I find that unusual for there to be water dripping from the drip line. Is there condensation buildup from just using the blower?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Front window defroster will kick in AC to dry the air out every time you put it on.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mack44
I think you guys are right. I went home and jacked the car up and found the drip line from I'm guessing the AC. I didn't know there was a drip line.

I haven't been using the AC since it's been fall type weather here in Utah. I find that unusual for there to be water dripping from the drip line. Is there condensation buildup from just using the blower?

Thanks for the replies.
It can drip like crazy if it is humid outside. It doesn't need to be hot out.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Coolant Leak?

Originally Posted by mack44

Thanks for the replies.
Raidiator fluid is going to be green or pink there are many colors for it depends on what you buy.

Anywho yes it is normal for most cars to drip water from the a/c so if you ever see what you descriped as the leak color clear water like looking or oil even if its not thick than its not oil if you see it fresh and there is a color other than brown/black or it is one of three things water,washer fluid, coolant

washer fluid will be color and very runny you should know what yours looks like
coolant-green or pink very watery not very full bodied if you know wine talk i guess.
oil-thick black or brown

i believe i have probably repeated myself and will stop i hope this helps someone